Water test tank

Discussion in 'General' started by Lou, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Looking for a plastic container, needs to be 48" L X 6"(or 12)W, maybe 4"-6" depth. I was thinking a wallpaper tray, but they only go to 32. Looked at animal feeders (trough style), paint trays (very large rollers)... My thought is to buy something and plastic seems to be the easiest, I really don't want to make a wooden frame with rubber liner.
    This would be used for float testing a cruiser or destroyer. Any other ideas? Specifically looking for something I can pick up or order online, if I need to build a support I would but would rather not...

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

6" wide, buy a nice plastic gutter with two endcaps, and seal the endcaps with plumbers goop or silicon.

3. Lou

you are my hero! Would have never thought about that. I will install a 1/4 tube with cap so I can drain into a tub.

4. Tugboat

Glad to help, Lou :)

5. warspite

warspite Active Member

I have a 10' bunk feeder insert on the way I am gonna try out. For my small boats I use a cheap plastic round kiddy pool from Toy's R Us. For the bunk feeder I am gonna put a stopper in the bottom for easy drainage. The bunk feeders come in 5' and 10' sizes if you wanted to go that route.

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

That is a great idea! It costs though but is easier than anything else. They have the 10ft in town for 129 bucks. Bob had a great idea as he took a water softerner/hardener fiberglass tank and sawed it in half. I couldnt find one.

I try using the bathtub for waterlines and such but with the baden it barely fits. I have to think on this one...

7. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

i use the pontoons off an old pedal paddle boat

8. warspite

warspite Active Member

Johnny,

You should be able to buy the insert only for considerably less.I will let you know how much mine costs when it arrives.

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I saw an insert for 90 bucks and found them used online for 80 bucks but they were all too far to drive.

10. Lou

So the gutter was only good for a destroyer, cruiser just would not fit. Going to the TSC store this weekend to look at a feed bin, thanks so much for the idea. This looks like something I can keep outside and fill from the hose.
    Another solution would be to get an older canoe and fill it up with water :).

11. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I like that the feed bin is very wide so I can float the Bismarck or any other size ship. If only it came in white so I could see in the water better.

12. Tugboat

Could you not spray paint the inside white, and fill it after it dries?

13. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

You can but I suspect it wont stick to the flexible polyu material. If not then

http://www.heltonplastics.com/quality-and-durability-as-only-helton-can-make-it/the-most-durable-plastic-livestock-feeders-on-the-market/8-poly-bunk

I found these that look ideal but shipping is high.

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I moved and had to give up my old test tank, but I did get a pond in the back yard so it isnt so bad. Anyway for a new test tank I would use one of those cardboard forms they use for concrete pillars. (Sonotube) Just find a contractor that is willing to let you buy a few feet of one, say 24" diameter or so, cut it into two half cylinders (depending on the length you might have to connect the two halfs together) and then add simple plywood ends and glass the whole thing. You could easily glass in a drain plug as well if you wanted.

You could probably build that for fairly cheap, quick search leads to a 16" dia version 4" long at home depot for $11.10, cut that in half add some fiberglass, scrap plywood and resin and you have an 8 foot test tank for probably $50ish.

15. Tugboat

A 4" long one wouldn't do much good in our scale, Kess :)

More seriously, that's a really cool idea.

16. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Well that explains the look on her face after I said 4".....

Doh

17. Tugboat

18. Lou

I will try the concrete tube trick, thanks Chris!

19. Lou

Bought a 12 inch tube from Lowes. Will build a simple box, place tube inside and use expanding foam to fill the underside. Drain plug in the middle and carry handles on the end. A detachable platform should make this a valuable tool in the workshop as I have outgrown the tub.
    Any advice on keeping the water in the tub so that it does not get funky? tablets or something to keep it from getting mold or whatever?

20. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Lou, its made of concrete? what does it look like?