Waterproof Servo?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by HMCS, Jun 9, 2007.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]I been using the tool dip method and the only time it failed was when the dip had a break at the base of the servo and the water pressure forced the water through the hole in the base where the servo wire lead runs through. Other than that My Yamato has sunk a half dozen times and the tool dip has worked fine. You just need to make sure that you reapply the lithium grease at the base of the servo horn. We had a Houston that sank in 15ft of water in freezing water. It sat there for 3 days, lake was frozen. When we recovered it
    the first thing I did was hook up a fresh battery and all servos worked fine.

I like the Tool dip method but the rtv and cooking oil seems to work better. I think I will use this method but for redundancy use the tool dip in concert with it.

Curt

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

kick it up a notch and seal the outside of the servo with exopy. I put a kink in the servo wires to stop it from pulling free of the epoxy. Outside case was expanded by 1/4 inch with only the top exposed. Drilled two holes, one to fill with the oil and the other to let out the air. Sealed both with RTV and still use an o-ring around the servo horn.
    Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to do a "rc how-to" on water proofing this way. Plan on sending a couple to NATS next month to stay submerged during the day and tested at night.

3. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

y not jest fill the top and bottom of the servo with Mineral oil. (Wikipedia) Mineral oil is used in a variety of industrial/mechanical capacities as a non-conductive lubricant. and it can be use as a coolant in electric components as it does not conduct electricity. do you think this would work? open the servo in bowl of Mineral oil put it back togeather and seal it.

4. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

will someone say something it will/it wont

5. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Sounds really Slippery but I wonder if it works would be cool[^]

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I heard of someone packing their servos with vasoline. Any idea's on this one.

Rob A.

7. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Easy there Ice [;)]

8. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Mineral oil is also used as a.... uuuummmm.... "softener" or natural laxative.... therefore it can be found in nearly any drug store or grocery store. My local Wal-Mart had it, located near the Pepto.

The side benefit is that if things at the pond are a little irregular, you can drink the contents of your servo [xx(]

9. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mineral oil with added fragrance is marketed as baby oil in the US, UK ....so now your ship can smell like a baby

10. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Hee Hee.... baby oil.... Just apply it to any squeaky baby [;)]

11. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

dont put Mineral oil in the bottom of the servo it slows it down.