WCC Fleet Status?

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by NickMyers, Mar 30, 2010.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Nice looking oiler.
    It is nice to see more convoy ships out there.
    Mikey

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Thanks. We're making an effort to try to build up some convoy ship games, partially because we don't have enough reliable ships on the water usually to generate sinks from gunfire and partially as a way to mix things up a little.

3. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Given the high state of readiness displayed by our fleet this weekend, I was wondering if there was interest in a prebattle get together on June 4th so we can do sea trials, test guns and maybe do some gunnery drills.

4. NickMyers

Might be a good plan. some of our captains could probably use some time on a maneuvering course as well.

5. Hovey

Yeah, we all could be better helmsmen. But the only way to get better is time on the water. I know my ship didn't perform nearly as well as I wanted it too and I know there are several other ships that could use some tweaking/testing. My hope is that by testing before the battle, that we will have less down time at the battle.

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good plan.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Bis has 7 units now

8. Hovey

Great, maybe you could send me one or two of those working units?

9. NickMyers

Glad you were able to fit that in, should allow you to dish a bit more. You're set up with dual sterns now?

I've noticed it seems like you're blowing a lot of co2 lines, especially near the end of the day, did you get a bad batch of hose or are you having problems with liquid co2 in the lines?

10. Hovey

I'm glad you got your new guns working. It is going to be hard to attack you with guns going every which way.

The 1/4" OD line we use isn't actually rated for 150psi its designed service pressure is only 105psi if I remember correctly. It wont rupture but it tends to slip off of the hose barbs. The only thing I have found that works well is to use clamps on all of the larger fittings.

11. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

it depends on the stuff you get. if you get one manufacturer, it is only rated to 105, if you get another, it is rated higher (I don't remember how much). ask the airtonics folks (the clippard distributor) about non-clippard hose that has a higher pressure rating

12. NickMyers

The clippard stuff is rated for working at 105, the Airtronics tubing (Freelin-Wade) is rated 135/145 (working pressure) @ 75F (1/8th & 1/4 OD respectively) if you picked up the IJ-013 and IJ-025 types.

13. Hovey

Polyurethane tubing comes in 1/4" OD x 1/8" ID and is rated at 150psi? All that I have found is rated somewhere between 105 and 120 psi @ 75ยบ F.
    EDIT: I have some of the Freelin Wade tubing and am very scepticale of their pressure claims.

14. GregMcFadden

mcmaster has some rated greater than 200psi

15. Hovey

Oh you mean like item number 5648K743? Hmm, I think maybe I need to get my eyes checked. When I last looked at McMaster-Carr I read that as ester based not ether based. Makes a big difference as to whether its worth using on boats. I do notice that with a durometer of 95A it is harder than most of the polyurethanes hoses out there should be much better for push connect fittings.

16. GregMcFadden

that part number is an Ether-Based Polyurethane

17. Hovey

Yeah, polyurethane hose is normally manufactured using either an ester alcohol or an ether alcohol. Ester based breaks down in the presence of water but is cheaper to produce. Ether based doesn't break down in the presence of water and so is much better suited to our needs.