Weight(y) Matters

Discussion in 'General' started by NickMyers, Apr 19, 2016.

1. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

IRC build rules:

C. SCALE AND PROPORTIONS

1. All ships shall be 1/144 scale.

2. The allowable error in the beam of a model ship shall be +/- 1/8"; or 2% of the

listed scale dimension, whichever is greater. The allowable error in the length of a model

ship shall be +/- 1/2"; or 2% of the listed scale dimension, whichever is greater.

3. Hull shape shall be relatively to scale. Running gear (such as skegs and bilge

keels) shall be relatively scale and in the correct scale location.

4. Each ship shall have a marked waterline. The center of the marked waterline

shall be within 1/8"; of the actual floating waterline of the ship. Ships in Classes 7 through

2 may have up to a 1/4"; wide taped or painted waterline, and ships in Classes 1 and 1/2

may have up to a 1/8"; wide taped or painted waterline. Any class of ship may have a

scale width waterline.

Now, the way I read that, hull depth (keel to weather deck) needs to be scale unless specifically exempted (added depth for small ships). If I was CD for a match and somebody showed up with an obviously "shaved" hull, I'd probably allow them to battle while telling them that the ship needed correcting before the next event. Note I said obviously. I'm willing to grant benefit of doubt if a ship is a bit over or under. That's what the tolerances specified in the rules (above) are for. But if the Mk. I eyeball says "that ship is mis-proportioned", then....

Wmemlo likes this.
  2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Another problem is having plans available pond-side... which plans are considered 'scale' .. which aren't.. etc.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I agree to a point... which plans are considered 'scale enough', etc being a mess to regulate... but if we can regulate beam to within 1/8" or 2%, why not height?

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  4. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member