Weird ships, who else has the love?

Discussion in 'General' started by Reckless, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

as the title states, who else has the love for weird ship? ... either a WTF idea, or something so weirdly ugly it's awesome. staying within the WW1/WW2 era

I personally have an unnatural love for the Japanese hybrid carriers. part of that stems from playing NavyField, cause they really didn't do anything very well. But, I also just love the look of them

I believe it was Bob that pointed out the Albatross to me, that's a very close second on my list

The other one I sorta stumbled across was the MAC ships (merchant Aircraft Carriers), which was basically a freighter/tanker with a flight deck thrown on it.

what's yours??? oh and if you have an PDF plans/profiles for any of the above I'd love to have a copy.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've always liked odd or weird looking ships, HMS Rodney being my favorite battleship for decades.

Some of the RC combat ships I've built would be considered weird. I built two versions of 15" monitor HMS Terror, a WWII version in 1984 and a WWI version in 1996. Next was HMS Courageous, definitely a weird WWI battlecruiser of great length with only 2 turrets. None of those models were built with the expectation they'd be good combat models; I just liked their looks and had a lot of fun with them.

I haven't built a model I've considered weird since the Courageous though some people think the Spanish Canarias Class heavy cruisers look strange. I made a mold and hull for HMS Furious, a half-sister of and even weirder ship than Courageous, but haven't decided to build it as planned with two single 18" gun turrets or as converted to a carrier in late WWI.

The only weird looking ship I'm going to complete in the next year or so is HMS Rodney, my long time favorite.

Photos of all my completed 'weird' ships can be found in Stokamoto's media albums.

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The Russian Gangut, about as ugly as they make them. The overhanging casements are my favorite part.

4. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Liked the the Henri IV PDN so much I bought RCEngr's lasercut kit in 1:144. Might get around to building it some day.

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I'm with Bob on the Gangut. I prefer the post refit version though. :)

6. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Hmmm…….

I just can’t wrap my mind around building a ship based on looks. For me it will always be about what it can do on the water.

Still not sure why I stubbornly continue to build Allied. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

That one has crazy bulges too, if it weren't for the not so optimal turret placement I'm sure one would've been built by now.

8. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

One battled in Maryland for a couple of years way back in the 80-90's.

9. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

I think most people will have atleast 1 go to ship that's great by the rules/play style (gun placement, allowances ) ..etc, but for me all others will be just cause I wanted to build it, either for looks, or cause it is so weirdly cool

10. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I go for the looks.

11. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Welll.....
    I have always liked the pagoda masts on the Japanese ships. Negato has always been on my short list. For multiple reasons. ;):oops:

12. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

I love the looks of most IJN ships ... however I don't really have any side alliance. I have noticed ppl mention a lack of allied boats on the water, so I'll definatelly have a couple of those...

however it looks like the only locals I know of are doing Allied boats... so I'll probably a couple axis to be a pest :D

13. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I somehow had a feeling either Marty or call might pipe up with a comment like that ;)

I might build one eventually. Just because.

14. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

the monitor/old dreadnaughty type ships are calling to me too ... that may just be my recent jump into WoW though hahaha

15. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Weird can be fun, but for a first ship “KISS”. Remember the objective to eventually get the ship successfully on the water. Fitting components is always a challenge for a first time build. Going too small “monitor” makes for a more challenging and expensive build.
    A heavy cruiser or battle cruiser make good first time builds.

16. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I agree that a CA or BC would be the best type of ship for a first combat model.

If you want to buld a monitor the Gorgon Class would be tricky due to small size - I didn't build mine until I'd had years of experience. HMS Roberts or Abercrombie wouldn't be too much of a challenge, having decent displacement and wide hulls. You'd have to use a capsule CO2 system instead of a bottle.

17. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

oh my first battling ship will more then likely end up a heavy cruiser, a weird one ofcourse! ... hahaha I however will be playing in 3d CAD and printer(s), atleast as much as possible.

I've had a few rc submarines I understand full well the "how do I fit all this... in there...and make it work" thing... :D

the only thing 'new' to me with all of this is installing functional guns. The smaller, niche type ships have always interested me... however now having a vehicle that can easily and safely transport 8ft long 'toys' also opens my mind to big stuff, etc. I want them ALLLLLLLL hahahaa

Xanthar likes this.
  18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

If you are starting with significant R/C and modeling experience, my recommendation is to skip the heavy cruiser, and move right on up to the battle cruiser. Side-mounds are ever so much more fun :woot:

19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Lets see....experience in RC (subs no less!), likes weird ships, and looking to get into warship combat....
    [​IMG]
    Surcouf, of course.

Not really. Despite your experience, a combat sub is extremely difficult to do.

NASAAN101 and Anachronus like this.
  20. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

oh I know full well on the combat sub ... my desire is novelty and challenge more then "imma pwn them battleships !!!" hahaha

for me the sub(s), and destroyer falls under 'gonna do em anyways, might as well make em combat models too! "

my last sub was a 1/72 revell type VIIC conversion ... after all the function guts were in, was still room for a air powered torpedo system. nearly same size as a 1/144 I400 .. and its been proven do-able.. so I shall attempt it ... how long function takes is anyones guess

as for battle cruiser... yup ..Alaska is on my list ... I intend to have 1 of each class at the very least :D