Weird ships, who else has the love?

Discussion in 'General' started by Reckless, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Great pic of Surcouf.

2. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

ALASKA??? EEEeeekkkk:eek: NOOOOoooooo:sick:
    Alaska is one of the absolute worsts models that can be built for this hobby. Let me be more specific. You are looking for maneuverability!!!
    Von der Tann
    Moltke
    Invencible
    Keeping systems to a minimum (3) guns. Have side mounts. Have either dual rudders or (2) inline rudders for maneuverability.

I will wast neither my time or money on a single rudder ship. We have litigated their usefulness from the hobby.:(

Alaska is 7” longer than a North Carolina, 1.5” narrower and only has 1 rudder as apposed to 2.
    Keith

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

lol

4. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

*shrug* I'm not doing this to be the most competitive badass on the water. Nor will it be my main battler. I just want to build one, cause it's pretty! :D

as I said I want atleast 1 of each class ... my main battlers will be a mogami heavy cruiser (done in half carrier refit), and a Uganda Light cruiser.

to quote a movie:

"your insane"
    "well that's good, or else this would never work!"

absolutek likes this.
  5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Build something you enjoy @Reckless, the key thing to remember is to battle to your ships' strengths and keep it reliable. The main thing being to keep it reliable

6. absolutek

I wonder what he would say if he saw some of the hulls I have in my workshop Lol. Repulse, Hood, Vanguard, Nelson, Dunkerque... Probably a few more dogs hiding somewhere....

Anachronus likes this.
  7. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

should be noted... I didn't pick my nickname, Reckless, was given too me .. from driving rally cars, to general life, to video games, to airsoft ...etc it's just stuck

the best part of it is ... the people that know me that everything is a calculated risk... what appears reckless is actually a fairly thought out plan.... weither it works or not is part of the adventure! :D

8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

:eek::eek::eek::sick::sick::sick::crying::crying::crying::confused::confused::confused:
    At least you ar honest when you call them dogs;)

9. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Just remember that these are not cheap toys. Build something that has a chance to be a battler, then build pretty/weird boats. True you need to build something that you like, but give yourself a chance if you are going to go through the trouble of arming it.

10. absolutek

It was mostly in jest. ;)

11. NickMyers

All 24 sec?

12. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

well RC in general is a HELL of a lot cheaper then when I started LOL (give a hint... my first was an RC10 pre release, the hobby shops were able to get like 3 or 4 before official release if they were lucky)

but yes.... I know ... my last sub was about $1600 for it's guts.. King hauler with trailer was like $1200 before electronics and add ons...

13. absolutek

Except the Nelson.

14. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

the Imperator(s) dread and pre-dread , looks like they have made my list too

I think my list of 1 each class has been fulfilled :D

now... that steampunk floatilla thing.... hmmmm :D need to get of ma duff and get some 3D'in done :D

15. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Nelson a dog. It's over 700' loa so gets the 50% rudder area bonus and is the only ship under 800' loa that's allowed dual sidemounts in single turrets.

It was a dog years ago before it was allowed dual sidemounts.

16. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

My Alaska may not be the last word in maneuverability, but I still have fun running it. It's pointless to run it against a short battle cruiser, but it's great for running down French battleships. Especially if you have two Alaska cruisers that can run together and really pin the Frenchy down.

Anvil_x, Bob Pottle and NickMyers like this.
  17. NickMyers

I think some ships are less forgiving than others, but I think success or failure heavily depends on the captain, the pond, the local fleet mix, the other captains. That said, Alaska isn't a ship I'd suggest as a first time ship - particularly not if you intend to come down our way and battle - I think it will be harder to find success in it than some of the other choices available.

18. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Tom P's Alaska doesn't completely suck, he's got it to be as good as it can be: sucky, but not totally sucky.

19. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

Biggest thing with this thread Ideal is just the weird/cool, not really which is better battler. I'm sure there are lengthy threads on that already LOL

20. NickMyers

Has no one mentioned the weird little round ship yet?