Welding aluminum with a common house hold torch

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by wfirebaugh, Apr 22, 2019.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I found this video and thought the idea was awesome that a person dose not need a welding machine to weld Aluminum and thought I would share it. I see allot of people when they are building there ships are using wood and 3D printed items as brackets for there internal parts, my self I do not own a 3d printer or want to use wood to make brackets for item hold downs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLAjeSa6CqI

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight has a similar product.
    Works GREAT!
    Just keep the parts clean and it works.
    Message_1551320743351.jpg

Beaver likes this.
  3. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Can't watch the video. bandwidth in rural wisconsin sucks. is she basically just brazing the aluminum?

4. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Like brazing but needs really clean metal to work. A bit of sand paper and steel wool and you are ready to heat it up to about 700 degrees, then wipe the rod on the joint to flow the material.

Anvil_x likes this.
  5. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I had only seen mig, stick, or tig. It was quite a light bulb moment that welding aluminum doesn't require a welding machine, where I'm used to brazing and silflossing copper. I can stick weld but don't have a welding machine.

6. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I really like that stuff, and it works great. The only challenge I've found is that you have to make all of your "welds" at once. If you heat up a piece that was previously welded, it will melt when working nearby.

thegeek's work is really nice... much better than anything I ever did, but you would have to make all those bonds at the same time (or maintain position of things that were previously "welded"