Welp....I'm Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by misguided1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

bb s do not penetrate fibreglass. That is why we cut out windows and plate it over with balsa.

2. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Oh ok, so do you put ribs inside the hull to help the fiberglass keep it's shape, or does it keep the shape without help?

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The hulls are stiff enough to hold shape. Some people back the fiberglass ribs with wood to reinforce them against damage over the life of the ship.

4. misguided1

misguided1 Member

is it possible to make your own fiberglass hull? I am asking because the ship i'm wanting to build only has plans, so I am gonna end up building from scratch. I believe this is going to be an interesting build.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yes, but you don't need to make a fiberglass hull, you can build your ship from wood and reinforce with fiberglass. There are some good threads on this in the Warship Builds subforum.

6. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I will look into it, but from what I saw so far, there wasn't anything on a Revenge class battleship, is it the same concept for a bulged battleship as all other ships?
    I also wanted to know what the restrictions were for rotating and descending/ascending cannons. I read the rules several times but haven't seen anything about that.

7. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Pretty much. Here is a good thread on the basics of building a wooden hull. Even shows how to put in stringers.
    http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/566/aft/441667/afv/topic/afpg/1/Default.aspx

8. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Thank you Beaver for that link. It's going to come in handy when I start my build. Hey Tugboat, if it rains on Saturday, do yall continue with the scheduled battle or do yall postpone the battle? I am hoping to watch the battle, because right now, that's my only free Saturday for at least 6 months.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Unless it is drenching us with rain, we're lakeside. But we're not supposed to get any rain Saturday nor Sunday.

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

It wont matter much to Tugboat if it rains or not.... As soon as I catch his boat..... he will be wet anyway! :laugh:

[​IMG]

11. misguided1

misguided1 Member

LOL, I hope yall put on a good battle for some of us newbs to be able to watch and learn from. I have decided to put off my Revenge class battleship for now and start off with something I can work on without having to do much cutting. With lots of luck, i'll be able to order a Baltimore Class Heavy Cruiser kit within the next month or so.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It'll be fun. With a brandy-new ship, I fully expect to get my feet wet a few times!

13. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

You and I both... :blink:

14. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I wont be getting wet, so i'll just sit back and laugh when people get wet because I know I will be in the same boat as everyone sometime next year. I am hoping to be able to order my kit within the next few weeks and begin my build. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
    Tugboat, I was wondering during my build, because I'm new if you'd be able to help me make sure it's legal. I'll be doing all the work, just want to make sure I wouldn't be sidelined because my ship is illegal.

15. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Alright yall, I am in need of serious help. I tried to fiberglass the bottom of my boat without any fillers to help hold the shape, and I fail miserably. I am thinking about getting some foam to fill between the ribs and the fiberglass over that. Anyone have any ideas?

16. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Read over some of the other build threads. Some use expanding foam (tape hull, then fill w/ foam, then cut down), others use balsa blocks between ribs. Lots of different techniques. Best advice I can give you is read, read, read. When you see one that causes that little lightbulb to go off in your head (the "I can do THAT" light), there ya go. Alternatively, if you live close by another battler, arrange to go visit their workshop & get pointers.

17. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Brandy new Tug?
    Dontcha mean RUM new?
    Or is it French?

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Whisky you got to be that way? He's going to get off Scotch-free.

19. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Hey Spuds or Tug, could ya send me a message on Skype, when ya get a chance. My Skype name is grim.reaper986 Thanks