west system

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jimmybeekeeper, Feb 11, 2015.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

ok i was reading up on west epoxy preparing to buy and i have a couple of questions

there are from what i see a fast and a slow it looks like slow is plenty of working time but i want another opinion there also do all of the kits have the pumps

do i need any of the additives they offer for basic construction ( i build in wood) and glassing the bottoms

wheres a good place to buy theres nothing available locally

i have never used the west systems will i need more than one coat for the ribs and hull

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You just need the epoxy and hardener. If you ever plan on using it when it is hot outside I would go with the slow hardener for increased working time. You should only need one coat on your ribs or other wood parts. If you live near any marinas or marine/boat supply stores they are normally good placed to get it locally, otherwise there are many online options.

jimmybeekeeper likes this.
  3. ish311

ish311 Active Member

Not all kits come with the pumps and they are about $17 for the set last i looked(get metered pumps then you don't need a scale to much).
    No additives are needed for 90% of construction especially non structrual.
    Microbubbles would be the only thing i would recomend to make a very smooth surface as the reduced adheshion doesn't matter for these ships.
    use pure epoxy on the fiberglass to hold it and anything you are waterproofing but if you have a very tight radius turn anywhere ( such as somewhere in the superstructure) put a layer of micro under it to help keep adhesion.
    Microbubbles should be mixed to consistency of milk for under fiberglass and peanut butter for gap filling and smoothing.

And rule of thumb is whatever time they say it sets in is at 70 f. every 5 degrees above 70 cuts an hour set time and 5 minutes work time (but makes it hot and really reduces strength at a point) and every 10 degrees under adds about 3 minutes work time and 2 hours set time.

working with slow at 113 F actual gives you about 20 minutes work time and gets hot enough for first degree burns and melts foam (personal experience don't do this).

4. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

West is good stuff but over priced in my opinion. Give Raka epoxy a go. One third less and worked great on my kayak projects.

Raka, Inc. 772-489-4070

5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I only use West System because my labor is worth more than the price of the material. Great stuff and worth the price.
    Buy the pumps and you will be pleased with the results, or you can use the pumps to pour out a small quantity for small applications.

Buy the 105 resin and the 205 (fast) hardener, and microballoons. This stuff will age and will become tan then brown (205 hardener)
    but it will be as strong as when fresh. I have been using this for 32 years now and no issues, well only one it is expensive.

Beaver and jimmybeekeeper like this.
  6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I guess for these little models cost is less of a factor. For my kayaks I was buying gallons.

7. jimmybeekeeper

i hadnt considered needing a scale i assume something for measuring food would do?

any suggestions on a scale to weigh class 3-5 ships

8. jimmybeekeeper

there are marinas close by thx for the suggestion

9. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

10. jimmybeekeeper

11. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

If using West sytems, get the pumps.... you will be glad you did!

I only use West Systems on my boats.

12. ish311

ish311 Active Member

harbor freight $20 scale works well as well. you will not mix more than about a pound at a time.

13. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I use the pumps and they work great, but to mix small amounts a scale is indispensable. There are lots of time I only need a small amount, and to use the full amount the pumps will dispense with one full stroke is a waste. I have a scale that measures in tenths of a gram that I got on Ebay for $4 or $5. I mix up less than half a shot glass worth fairly often, and with the price of the material, I hate to waste much.

14. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I find the 410 micro light filler to be very useful in building wood ships. I use it to fillet around the keel and fill in any gaps or low points in the hull. When cured it has a hardness similar to the plywood which makes it very easy to sand smooth. I also use colloidal silica, micro balloons, cotton fibers and carbon fibers as fillers, but only in small amounts on ships.

I use the 206 slow hardener exclusively. My shop is usually in the low 60s and I have no problem with it curing. Of course it takes a while to cure. I'll usually do a layup a night and let it cure for 8 hours. At that point the resin is solid and slightly soft which makes it easy to trim. Then I let it cure the rest of the day. I don't use 205 hardener anymore, I've had too many batches cook off, which is dangerous. In the summertime, if your shop is not air-conditioned, the pot life can be as low as 10 minutes.

I get my West Systems from CST Sales. They are a small business that supplies RC builders and I've used them for over 20 years.

15. jimmybeekeeper

very helpfull as always thx to all

16. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

also, if you are planning to do small batch sizes, get some cheap 2oz disposable plastic syringes from ebay (cheap) as it makes it stupid simple to get the mix right. I tend towards small jobs because the pot life is longer than the kids attention span, so the limiting aspect for me is how long the kids are preoccupied with something else / napping. which ain't long.

NickMyers likes this.