Western MA

Discussion in 'New England Task Force (IRCWCC)' started by Wayne, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

I’m trying to find out if there is a combat club in Western MA or Eastern NY. I’m in Amherst, MA and would like to join a club that is reasonably close.
    Please contact me at yachtflame at yahoo dot com.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

absolutek likes this.
  2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne, there are active battlers in eastern NY. I grew up in MA but now live in VA. We have battles just south of Albany. COVID has put those battles on hold, but hopefully they will resume in the spring. We build and battle to the IRCWCC rules, www.ircwcc.com. Let me know what questions you have. There’s a battle in Bradford, PA next weekend which is ‘relatively’ close

3. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey Kevin, isn't there a guy over by Worcester that's active/building too? Whatever happened to all those (I think they were MWCI) guys that used to battle near Foxboro?

4. Wayne

Wayne Member

Kevin,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Where in eastern NY do they meet? I grew up in Albany but am now in western MA.
    Wayne

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

There have been a number of people over the past few years from MA that showed interest on this forum, but none of them have attended an event / picked up the hobby as far as I know. If they all started at the same time there could be a pretty decent group.

From the folks around Foxboro, Dave S. is still active and has made it to some of the NY battles in the past few years (lives in Berkley, MA). Don Fisher lived near Foxboro and was the first club member I met back in 2002, unfortunately he passed away several years ago from a sudden illness. The MA folks have always been part of the IRCWCC.

For the NY folks, there's a member in Coxsackie, NY that hosts battles (on hold from COVID). There are also a couple guys in Esopus, NY. There's a contingent in NJ that is growing too

6. Jason Boulanger

Jason Boulanger Captain (Supporter)

Im just getting into this, just got a ship, hope to be battle ready in few weeks, im from Springfield ma, not far from Worcester and Amherst

7. Wayne

Wayne Member

Jason,
    I’m in Leverett, a little town bordering Amherst. I’ve been intrigued by this hobby for years and am glad to hear that there are enthusiasts in the area. Since I wrote the initial post, I’ve gotten involved in several other hobbies. I am currently building a 72” RC model of a three masted schooner the “ Atlantic” plus I’m restoring a 1949 Jaguar MK V sedan and a 28’ long 1930 Garwood mahogany speedboat. At the moment, I don’t have any spare time to build a war ship. I would still like to attend any battles that are held in the area. If you know of any gatherings for ship combat, I’d like to go and maybe get a chance to meet you and other RC enthusiasts. I am retired so scheduling shouldn’t be a problem. Any time you’d like to meet would be a pleasure.
    My contact info is:
    Wayne Elsworth
    ragtimerestorations@yahoo.com
    413-658-4416

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

NJ contingent here. The hobby almost always involves traveling a few hours. My shop is always open to guests and we are starting to host sanctioned regional events here in NJ.

Panzer likes this.
  9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That 72" long schooner sounds like fun. I've done scale RC sailing before and I'd love to do it again.

10. Jason Boulanger

Jason Boulanger Captain (Supporter)

NJ is not to far, when is the next event in the new england area? I heard something in october but I cant find any info on that anywhere

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The NJ October battle is listed in the Events section of this forum. It is on private property so addresses and such are not posted. Those interested can contact me privately.