What are Torpedo Systems on a Model?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Slyfly, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Okay, don't get me wrong, I know what a torpedo is, but how do they operate on models, and in the future, could one build a submarine with torpedoes?

2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Torpedoes are not used on fast gun ships, only big gun. They are simply a battery of cannon (usually 2 or 3 barrels to a side) that are fixed (not rotating) , and fire 1/4 ball bearings. All barrels on a given side fire at once. They are generally allowed on big gun subs, although I think some clubs may have restrictions on submerged torpedoes.

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

torpedoes on a boat
    torpedoes outside a boat
    torpedo attack 1, torpedo attack 2
    damage 1, damage 2, damage 3
    Most torpedo cannons are essentially a single volley from a big battleship's guns, but used only from close range with a higher accuracy. The captain also tries to slip under the target's guns or otherwise maneuver to minimize return fire. Torpedoes can either be single shot or carry reloads. Single shot cannons fire a single shot from each side before returning to port to reload, allowing for a simpler gas system. They usually get two to four full loads of torpedoes (four to eight shots) every fifteen minutes. Reloading torpedoes have a magazine, but must carry on-board air that takes up precious internal space and weight. Torpedoes are most often mounted on light cruisers and destroyers as the primary armament. I have also seen them as secondary armament on many Lutzow-class boats. A Kreuzer P (2x3 7/32" cannons) used a set of reloading triple torpedoes to add extra punch, but most battleships already have 1/4" guns and don't need to carry the extra weapons.

submarine
    submarine attack
    The submarine shows the most common setup that I have seen for big gun submarines: two tubes operated by a plunger in the bow. To fire, the sub must bump into the target, and is equipped with a rubber pad to prevent the bump from causing any damage (only the torpedoes are allowed to inflict damage). There are other options, of course. I've seen a single tube operated by a standard servo and poppet, and I've also seen a four tube operated by the plunger. Bear in mind that submarines are extremely difficult to build to to their small size and the equipment required to dive.

4. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Lol, unless you build a Russian Typhoon-class sub

5. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Or I-400 German Submarine. However since I am beginning I'm going to stick with above the water craft.

6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Bang for the buck is involved. The amount of time and money versus the time on the water plus fun factor makes a submarine not fun.
    If you really want to build one, do it after you have battled and have it as a second ship.
    For me a submarine is 5 minutes of fun versus 30+ minutes of fun with a ship. Yes a sub is cool, but not for the amount of time and money invested.

7. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

PMWC 1/72 combat allows the use of torpedoes and they are of scale length and 1/4" in diameter. They use to be allowed on submarines and torpedo boats, but are now only allowed on submarines. The reason for the change was we wanted them to operate as close to scale as possible and in torpedo boats they always acted like Exocet Missiles often hitting superstructure and sticking out like a smoking cigar. We finally have a design for the torpedoes that runs straight and far under water and will still penetrate a hull 3 or 4' away. The previous comments above are correct, we consider the running of the submarines and torpedo use as more of a novelty, for those looking for a challenge, because you don't get in a lot of run time or combat. Even in 1/72 scale, it's difficult to get the submarine to run correctly. Currently we only have one operating submarine, the IJN I-201, but the captain is now running allied and hasn't used it for a while. We do run a strict allied/axis, with only real nationality flags (no blue tape flags to denote teams).

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

We'd love to see that. There are a few threads around here of people trying to make viable torpedos that are more yhan just a pair of bearings or a length of rod.

9. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Interesting, but yes, I do intend to make an above water ship or 2 before attempting a sub.

10. Gary Powell

Guess I will have to improve my picture locating and uploading abilities. Finally found pictures of the torpedoes and the IJN I-201 that fires them.
    P1020077.JPG P1020072.JPG

absolutek likes this.
  11. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I take it the subs a surface model only? Do the fins on the torps come off and float to the surface for easy retrieval?

Nice work btw.

12. Gary Powell

Yes, a surface runner only so the torpedo tube can be maintained at the optimum firing position. No the torpedoes are shot and lost forever. I will let the owner know you appreciate his work.

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Must.....resist......no... cannot build a sub...MUST not build a sub.....aaaarrrgggggg!!

14. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Wow thats cool. Im going to need to save that for later.

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Are we looking at an evolution in torpedo design here? Different vanes, body lengths and tapers?

16. Lou

All that time on a lathe to lose them forever. Someone is making it rain
    [​IMG]

Nathaniel Tindall likes this.
  17. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Ur just jealous you didn't invent it. :3
    I bet you could find some way to make them recoverable. Thanks, this only confirms I'll be building a sub sometime in the future of this hobby, along with making it capable to rise and sink. That would require a camera on the sub tho to measure depth.

18. ish311

ish311 Active Member

find the right diameter rod and making the cap should take less than 3 minutes each. least that is about how long it takes me to rough round a piece of brass. can also do that with a power drill and a sander pretty quick.

19. Lou

I think you need to be very precise as these need to track straight in the water.

20. ish311

ish311 Active Member

probably very true VV would have to consider setting up a mold to make 15-20 at a time if i decided to arm the surcouf. want a forge and melting pot anyway.