What are Torpedo Systems on a Model?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Slyfly, Apr 21, 2015.

1. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Main problem I see with this type of torpedo is that it gets stuck in the hull, partially blocking the hole. That restricts the amount of water getting in. Unless the torp cracked/broke a good bit of the skin around it, it might block enough water for the pump(s) to keep up...

2. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to remember these were test shots and I showed you pictures of those that were the most impressive as pictures go. What would you have seen if I had shown you the picture for the torpedo that went in one side and came out the other? Yes, one of the first test shots did this. We all thought the shot had passed under the ship until i pulled the destroyer out of the water and it was full of water. How many of your surface gun ships can put that kind of a hole in the hard bottom of another ship at 70 psi? How many times have you counted the damage in your ship and found the hold plugged with a BB or Bearing? For me over the years its been a lot. The main purpose of this series of pictures was to show a torpedo traveling in the water almost straight as an arrow. All other combat groups have tried, but their torpedoes all have trouble, mostly traveling very erratic in the water. Shoot in one direction and end up somewhere else. This shot did end up sticking out of the hull, self sealing the hole just put into the ship. I still think that's a pretty impressive hit.

Tugboat likes this.
  3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Ahh, let me rephrase my question.

Are the torpedoes simply loose fit in the tubes, and then ride out on a massive flow of air by opening a valve behind them? How long are the tubes relative to the torpedoes in order for them to stabilize and acquire speed before exiting? Are the torpedoes held up by an o-ring at any point to build pressure?

Lou likes this.
  4. Gary Powell

There is no o-ring holding the torpedo in. The tube is approximately 6 inches long with the torpedo just stuffed into the snug fitting tube. It is fired using a Clippard MJV valve and approximately 2 cubic inches of air behind it.

5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

phenomenal bit of engineering, Gary.

6. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool! I originally got in this hobby to fire torpedoes underwater from submarines.

But I must point out that if you have internal armor, and that internal armor survives the torpedo hit, then the likely scenario is a partially filled hole. This is one of the reasons I've all but given up on firing tops underwater (the other being that's it hard to get a sub that dives to work in 1/96 because of space limitations).

7. Gary Powell

irnuke:

I passed on your complement to Deryk, the person who has put the time and energy into the design that is finally working. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I am most impressed by the results. Please don't shoot my boats with it! :)

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Yes, don't shoot Tuggy's boats. Tends to make the cereal box superstructure soggy. Bleh...

Nathaniel Tindall and Tugboat like this.
  10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, but Lou, my new 'Cap'n Crunch' SS is soaked with spar varnish for even better water resistance!

absolutek and Beaver like this.
  11. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Member

does he still use this sub? if so does h go to nats, or where does he battle with it? and is there any way to contact him? it is quiet the interesting system :)

12. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

I must say I am highly impressed by this.

Here you have torpedoes that stay submerged for a fair distance, move at a good speed, track fairly straight, and carry the energy to penetrate a hull.

The mechanism sound fairly simple as well. I'd be willing to bet, that with some experimentation, one could cast a two-piece resin torpedo and weigh the front with shot and expoxy... rather than turning them on the lathe.

I wonder how they'd work being surface fired into the water?

13. luscombesilvaire

luscombesilvaire New Member

[CITA = "Gary Powell, publicación: 500164, miembro: 1947"] No hay una junta tórica que sostenga el torpedo. El tubo mide aproximadamente 6 pulgadas de largo con el torpedo simplemente insertado en el tubo de ajuste ceñido. Se dispara usando una válvula Clippard MJV y aproximadamente 2 pulgadas cúbicas de aire detrás de ella. [/ QUOTE]
    y que sucede con el tubo lanzatorpedos luego de que se dispara? se llena de agua? el sistema de disparo es igual al de un cañon? mjv3, mav 3 etc

14. Gary Powell

To answer, I needed to translate as much as I could:
    "What happens to the torpedo tube after it goes off? is filled with water? is the firing system equal to that of a cannon? mjv3, mav 3 etc"
    Since it will be easier to answer all together, I am also including a PM I received. It reads:
    "Can you explain more about how the ijn 201 submarine shoot torpedos? have you any picture of the shooting system. thanks for all."

ENGLISH ANSWER:
    The shot is taken, the torpedo exits from the burst of air behind it. The tube then fills with water, but to prevent water from leaking into the submarine we use the MJV-2. If you tried using the MJV-3, water will leak into the submarine through the hole in the stem. It is a one time single shot system currently.

The IJN-201 had only one shot out the bow, but the new USS Balao that is being run has 3 tubes. Two in the bow and a single shot out the stern.

I will have to look for the photos of the actual gun.

SPANISH TRANSLATION (Per Google):

El disparo está tomado, el torpedo sale de la explosión de aire detrás de él. El tubo entonces se llena de agua, pero para evitar que el agua se filtre en el submarino utilizamos el MJV-2. Si intentaste usar el MJV-3, el agua se filtrará en el submarino a través del agujero en el vástago. Es un sistema de disparo único de una sola vez actualmente.

El IJN-201 sólo tenía un tiro hacia fuera de la proa, pero el nuevo USS Balao que se está ejecutando tiene 3 tubos. Dos en la proa y un solo disparo en la popa.

Tendré que buscar las fotos del arma real.

15. luscombesilvaire

luscombesilvaire New Member

thanks Gary. If you can, please, send pictures o drawings about shooting system. I am live in Argentina. My warshipclub is Flota Cruz del Sur, 1/72 scale also. Same yours.

16. Garrett

Garrett Member

do you guys know where I would get submarine planes
    -G

17. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Submarine planes? Like floatplanes from an I-400?
    Or submarine plans?

I would recommend that you try to a simpler surface warship first, if you haven't build and battled yet, submarines are very difficult to make, especially for combat.