What CO2 system to use in a destroyer?

Discussion in 'General' started by Boatmeister, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

This may not be the appropriate place for this thread but figured I'd start here. If it needs to be moved, please feel free to move it to the appropriate topic.

What CO2 systems are people using to power their guns on destroyers and small ships? Once upon a time there was a 12 gram CO2 adaptor that screwed into the regulator but those apparently are not available. Battery technology has allowed these ships to be more readily built but I see this as a limiting factor. Any information would be fantastic! Thanks!

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

There are several options. In my DD I'm running a no longer manufactured plastic reg that takes 16g capsules. FYI, those 12g adapters are still available. A decent option is using one of those adapters and the Battlers Connection light weight reg.

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've successfully used capsule CO2 systems for 1.5 to 3.0 unit ships, although 2 of my 4 Palmer Pursuit light weight regs failed and required repairs by the manufacturer. I used 12 gm CO2 capsules in Class 2 monitor HMS Terror (with a then current Swampworks surplus reg), 16 gm in Class 1.5 HMCS Prince Roberts, 20 gm in IJN 400 (for shooting and resurfacing from static dives), and 28-35 gm in AC HMS Black Prince and heavy cruiser SNS Canarias. I've had no failures of the larger Palmer regs threaded for 28-35 gm capsules. I obtained several hundred from surplus years ago, which is why I'm fitting HMS Suffolk and Russian CL Profintern with capsule CO2 systems. They save a lot of space compared to CO2 bottles and usually allow for larger battery capacity.

5. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    As i have a le terible. I was wondering myself.
    Nikki