What esc are yu using?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sinkazuki, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

I found an futaba esc in the basement. Hooked it, up it works but there's a delay between forward and reverse.
    Is that typical for an esc?
    What are you guys using?
    Thx

2. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

3. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Is there any delay from forward to reverse?

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

No delay, hobby wing is well suited for our use. Leave the mtronics and others to the keyboard jockies

5. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

I have a hobbywing 1625 (no reverse, didn’t know that when ordered it a couple years ago)
    My current radios are spectrum dxe.
    I hooked it up but the trim tabs don't have any effect on the hobbywing esc. They will adjust a servo though.
    I wonder if they still make esc's with manual adjustments.
    I'd rather not have buy a new radio.
    Thx guys

6. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

ZARUBA1987 likes this.
  7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I spent a long time using Mtroniks. For a long time they were the only somewhat reliable ESCs with instant 100% reverse that were waterproof. But about 1 in 10 would blow up the first time you plugged it in. I recently got a couple of Hobbywing ESCs from BC for my Deutschland PDN's, and I'm glad I did. It has everything a modern battler need, from instant 100% reverse to reliable waterproofing to configurable low-voltage cutoff to protect your LiPo batteries from harm. It even has a waterproof on/off switch.

8. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Dude, why do you so frequently take jabs at people with differing opinions? It’s really unbecoming.

As an apparent keyboard jockey and a rare advocate of mtroniks. I would say that apparently the older ones aren’t too bad but the new ones suffer from some issues. Again, I will also say that in my experience (mostly older) I didn’t see any (including my own) fail without operator error. Many people run motors too powerful for their ESC when stalled out. I never will I overspec my ESC every time. It’ll kill any ESC and it seems mtroniks were not very tolerant of that abuse at any point in their history. One reversed connection or too much stall current for a second and instant smoke.

Also, my original mtroniks is still running in my first boat (big gun) with another owner. It is 15yrs old and has seen dozens of hours on and under the water. I bet you would be hard pressed to find another ESC anywhere in the hobby with a service life that long. Maybe that is a fluke and that was something only the older models were capable of. Maybe not.

9. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Sorry dude. As someone that attends battles, I (and others) get tired of seeing new people show up with boats that don't work based on legitimately bad 'advice' from the internet. In general, not many active battlers in the IRC use this forum or offer their opinion on the everyday questions from new people. I try to share advice based on observations from how the top captains with reliable boats build since they don't share it themselves. The goal is to provide new people with the recommendations based on things that actually show up to the pond and work. It should not be a foreign concept that advice on the internet is not the same as what is used on the pond. Doesn't mean that other responses could never work, but I don't think I've recommended anything that is outside of current best practices within the largest battler community.

Two years ago I saw 4 mtronics die on the bench or very early into battle, adequately sized and under no abnormal load conditions. I'd rather not see new people waste their money on stuff like that, sorry if that offends you.

If I had been out of the game for some time I would probably qualify my advice as such, and direct whomever to probably check with the more active captains. There are plenty of things I do that I would not recommend others to use because they are unnecessary / complex / require more TLC. Seems like a lot of people fixate on recommending their specific solution, I detail my build threads so people can follow my advice if they want, I usually try to qualify anything that would not be a good idea for most

Jay Jennings likes this.
  10. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    I been around for a long time
    I just never used esc's.
    R

11. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Bottom line. Mtroniks is currently sketchy and I thought my words reflected that while paying homage to having performed well in the past. There are better known/functioning current options to be sure.
    There is no need to disparage people along with the products you are against. You take the time to make jabs at people discreetly, but obviously, to those it is intended for. You are a repeat offender (I read every post on every topic) and it bothers me because it is bad form. I still like you and respect you because I know you are a solid dude. I just think it’s unbecoming and petty. I understand that we can all be vulnerable to those things sometimes. That is why my opinion of you is unswayed.

Indeed, I haven’t been to a fast gun battle since I was in Charleston a few years ago. About that time I had that build and bull session in my garage/boat shop that you swung by for. I have run stuff out here in CA but not made a SCRAP battle yet. I have my crosshairs set on April though. I’ll be sure to document the performance of my systems to offer good feedback about the controversial items. I didn’t really do it last time it was out. I’m also revamping a few things. Mtroniks, Palmer Pursuit regulator, etc... $5 says it all does just fine. Just like my previous efforts. minus the one forgotten priming hole for a pump. Still primed but only if the level was high enough.

That’s why I say things about how stuff has changed and my observations apply to older product. Do I have the newer items from mtroniks? yes. However, they are brushless controllers and not what I am talking to people about. I ran them and they did great in my Radetzky.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019