what is the best starting ship

Discussion in 'General' started by Mantis, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis New Member

I want to get into the hobby but not sure what ship I should do first, I don't want to do to BIG but not too small and should I do a convoy or a ship? plz helps

also I want to do Big gun

2. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

If you want to do Big Gun, we generally recommend starting moderately big, i.e. a 3- or 4-turret battleship or battle cruiser. These have enough space so your engineering doesn’t have to be spot on and you have an effective combat ship at the end. That said, the Big Gun community is currently struggling with a source of cannon. The Western Warship Combat Club is the closest Big Gun Club to you, probably. Recommend you look at the hulls available from Battlers Connection or Strike Models to find something you like.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

As an experienced Big Gun battler, here are my recommendations:
    1) a WWII-era "Treaty" battleship like HMS King George V, USS South Dakota, DKM Scharnhorst, etc. in the 35,000ton to 40,000ton range. Large enough to be forgiving of builder mistakes, powerful enough to be fun for many years, and interesting enough to help start a club.
    2) a torpedo-armed cruiser, like RN Capitani Romani, DKM Spahkreuzer, USS Atlanta, FNS Emile Bertin, etc. single-shot torpedoes are simple and reliable, and torpedo-cruisers are much easier to build than torpedo-destroyers.
    3) an unarmed transport, like the Hog Islander, Mehoshi Maru, T3 Tanker, etc. This is a distant third recommendation. An unarmed transport is a good build experience when you're joining an established club with plenty of local battlers, but you'll probably be better off with a warship if you need to get your own club started.

Things to avoid:
    1) destroyers. Very small, very difficult to build, and generally low combat effectiveness unless operated as part of a group.
    2) submarines. Like destroyers, but even slower and with the added complexities of needing to dive AND surface again afterwards.
    3) super-battleships, like Yamato, Montana, Iowa, Bismark, Roma, etc. These things pose extra difficulty for transportation due to weight and size, and are best left for experienced builders.
    4) heavy cruisers, like Prinz Eugen, Lutzow, Mogami, etc. These ships are not very popular in Big Gun since most have nearly identical role to that of battleships, but with lighter armor and smaller guns. A few ships have specific features that allows them to specialize in certain niche roles, but that is best saved for experienced builders in a large club.

Sourcing your Big Gun cannons may be a significant issue, since there are currently no commercial manufacturers of Big Gun cannons. Most builders make their own, either using a mill and lathe or (more recently) a 3d printer. The basic operating mechanisms for Big Gun cannons are quite simple, but the sheer variety of cannons necessary (2-4 barrels, four different calibers, various magazine sizes, etc) tends to favor individual construction.

buttsakauf likes this.
  4. Mantis

Mantis New Member

i'm going to get the DKM Scharnhorst. I don't know what firing circuit I need. Help

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  5. Mantis

Mantis New Member

or should i not worry about it right now