What is the one thing you wish our hobby had?

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinScott, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nice looking work, Greg! I might have to order a pump for Hyuga when I get her ready for floating!

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

*cheers* Noice Greg. Very Noice indeed. It is making me want to build Bismarck superstructure... must resist must go to bed.... noice.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Now I just need my mill bits and I can cut the test mold piece... the spherical observation tower, and mold it directly... then out comes the BB gun.

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I've always been impressed by basinshipyards... Just haven't had the excuse to buy from you yet. Your can't make stuffing tubes in 3/16" can you?

I will make a page for "smaller vendors" to sign up; & we will see how many we can get. If we get enough people, or at least enough product range... Then I will create an RCNavalCombat "market"; how exciting!

>The details worked out.

Yeah, that's the hitch; isn't it. I wouldn't do that one for free. Maybe a certain percentage of what's sold, maybe a certain amount a month, maybe a between the two choice. Don't know how the details would actually work out; any preference?

I created a topic on this subject & put it in website enhancements.

5. Tugboat

Not to give away too much, but we already have a domain name, server, and credit card stuff rolling :) The store won't open till summer (probably), but thought I'd throw that info out there so's you don't commit too much money&time to that. As you indicated, this is already a lot of work for you.

(I just realized that it sounded like I'm speaking for Basin shipyards, which I am not, he's his own man :) Although if he wanted to talk, he can email me :)

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

LOL. Looks like things are rolling here. Basinshipyards... hmmmmm... yes, I placed an order and had it filled. It was for a pump. The design of the last one he sent out is excellent. I have tested it in the tub, but not in a model yet, have to wait til the thaw now. Test was more than a pass.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Glad you liked it Craig. I am still working on novel things (right now odd approaches to cannons are being tried by me)

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Odd approaches to cannons? Do you mean designs, construction technique, or usage on ships? Tell us, tell us! We must know. Yes, my precious, we must!

9. Tugboat

Brian Koehler's made me some new design geek breech cannons. I wanted some for Hyuga that I didn't have to tweak all the time. He's Allied tho, so I had to test them to be sure :)

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

LOL, nice Tuggs. Where's Crocket? Cannon configurations and such... Experimenting you say... Well. Results man! Share your results! LOL

11. Tugboat

The design is an old one, we're just trying to get more gas flow behind the BB, since in MWCI we don't have velocity limits, just gas pressure limits. The geek breech is maintenance free, jsut replace the tubing every year or so (maybe less with modern materials). No tweaking lakeside means more time to taunt the enemy on shore between sorties :)

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

I like it! Anything promising yet?

13. Tugboat

Oh yes, nothing that'll help Big Guns style cannons, but if you're using the fast guns BB cannon, the velocity can be increased noticeably. Enough to shoot through a coffee can bottom :)

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

Really, send me what you have! I need to know these things you know! Please and thank you Sir Tugg. :)

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Swampworks used to sell geek cannons. I had many of them and for a while they were the mainstay of the club. Eventually we had to revert back to the FOSTER STYLE BREECH because the geek cannons were not as sturdy once the main support rods were snapped either by a close pass or a bb hit or the solder at the joint holding the support rod would break. Without the support the cannons were floppy and tend to eject themselves from teh tubing. The tubing would tear when trying to slip the brass clamp over the end onto the upfeed tube and that part was difficult. Then slipping another .25 inch slice of tubing to slip over the main tubing was a pain in the butt. Once you struggled to get all that in place it worked pretty well. Your right though replacement is necessary as the tubing's inside would wear and eventually get weak that the bbs would no longer fire as hard. If you guys have found a way to make that system more reliable and stury that would fantastic. Looking forward to finished cannon.

16. Craig

Craig Active Member

Development pictures?

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That would work for me.

18. Craig

Craig Active Member

Also user comments when you actually get combat installed cannons. Would these be easier to make then what is curretnly being used?

19. Tugboat

Let me think on it :) I will definately post pics of the cannons and damage from them, after they're tested. 2 are done, 2 more being made, and then the test platform will see how they play on the water. They would definately NOT pass the foam test the Big Guns guys use.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

That's ok. Whatever you can post will be encouraging. I'm interested to see teh design and what they are capable of.