What radio do you use?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by JustinScott, Jan 12, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What radio do you use? What features made it stand out?

I use the Spekrum DX6 almost soley because I didn't want to change radio crystals!

2. aroeske

aroeske Member

I have always use Hitec. Inexpensive, easy to modify and they will still fix it after a modification (for a price of course).

Andy

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I used a Spektrum once when my Futaba quit trying to control the ship. It worked exactly as advertised with no drama (in other words, I was very happy with it). My only concern with Spektrums is that microwave frequencies don't penetrate water very well, so the old trick of finding your boat by firing the guns and looking for the bubbles won't work :(

Of course, with Justin's Iowa, I don't expect to see that one sink, so it probably won't be an issue. Those are huge!

4. JustinScott

Yeah... That's really part of my design. I don't think I really need to water proof anything; you know unless it rains or something. [8D]

5. aroeske

aroeske Member

Every ship sinks. Even Iowas :)

6. JustinScott

That sounds like a challenge from Sr. Roeske!! I accept! Whenever I'm battle ready & have come to a MBG battle; we will have a fight to the death!

[xx(] vs. [B)]

HAHAHA!

7. Tugboat

It's hard to sink the biggies, unless your team is willing to ignore all the other ships on that side. At Nats, it's a little different, but we hardly ever get more than say, 10 to 14 ships at a regional. with 5-7 ships per side, it's hard to create an imbalance in the line that lets you concentrate your firrepower without getting pasted hard somewhere else.

This is commentary on Fast Gun, it's probably different in BigGun, but I wouldn't know, being one of the "wee people" 8)

8. aroeske

aroeske Member

Hehe, your on. I'm actually working on my Richelieu tomorrow at Gene's. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to work on it here at home. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

With the pump restrictions and the "Big Guns," one well place shot with a bit of luck (or bad luck) can send any ship to the bottom very quickly. What most people forget is all those aboves can become belows very quickly when you start settling.

I learned that the hard way. My NC was coming in to port pumping hard, but holding its own. I looked away to talk to someone for a few seconds and looked back and only saw bubbles :-/

Andy

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

Radio using. Ok. Specktrum DX6 for Bismarck. Futaba six channel for North Carolina. Futaba two channel for Shinano. I like it this way to allow someone to captain a ship if I'm on a cruise or if a small battle to immerse a new member. Rent the boat out for the day.

10. Tugboat

Yeah, I forgot to mention my Futaba 2-ch radios for convoys. I bought them from Tower Hobby... 2 channels, comes with 2 servos, AM radio, for $40. For forty bucks, it's hard to go wrong. MWCI's frequency list sets A1-A6 aside for convoys, so I got A1 and A2 after consulting with other Axis convoy drivers(Axis gets A1-A3, Allied scum get A4-A6). That way, my lil T-103 transport can be driven by someone while I drive Tsingtao.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

True that. The Futaba 2ch was 40.00 converted of course. Totally worth having for those days ahead when your first two ships have issues and you just wanna do something on the water. Or like I said, get it to someone who needs to give it a try!

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

My radio is a 6 ch AIRTRONICS VG 600 FM. The only one I have. I do have a 5 ch air freq Spectrum radio for my CR2 MICRO-HELICOPTER. Those radios are awesome.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Oh the ROMA has a QUATRO 4 CH FM.

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

The Spec wins hand down. Best damn transmitter period.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well hang on to that thought. I saw a new site where you can turn your ordinary radio into a Spectrum basically by removing the transmitter antennae and installing a mini computer thingy with screen. This will turn your radio to operate exactly like a spectrum only better. See the email on the BSTF.

16. Craig

Craig Active Member

ohhhhhhh..... check out to see if yours can handle the button conversion Curt. Stephen is looking for a Spec as well.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Apparently it can.

18. JustinScott

Spektrum make several addon modules for "other radios" but I believe they are all 2-3 channel radios only. Check out their site & tell me I'm wrong!? :)

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

They now have it for 4 channels. This SPECTRUM is simply quite amazing. I was looking at a radio today at the local hobby shop. Yup impressive. Good bye old transmitters hello technology.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

I have successfully tested the Spektrum's abilty (on the bench) with a proboat esc. The engines did their thing and by programming the transmitter as appossed to the esc directly, I found that the esc stayed cool. This is a major development for the advancement of the sport here. ESC's nearly ruined our season here last year as half our boats changed over to run them.