what solder do you choose?

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Jun 13, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I've finally ran out of solder. Not exactly sure what brand I had, or if it was actually good solder or not, but I need some more and would like to know what everyone else is using

The logo on the stuff I ran out of is just the letter G. that's all. It is labeled as Sn99.3 Cu.07 Rosin core, 1.0mm diameter 15gr weight "golden solder". It did seem to solder well, and was pretty clean, even sometimes having my flux "borrowed" at the track and needing to solder a new connector to an esc so I can get out on the track in under 2 minutes. (damn those Chinese knockoff deans).

Anyways, if this was good stuff, I'll get more, if it was junk, well it's been some pretty good junk, and I'm glad to be rid of it, lol. I've soldered quite a lot with it, and so far everything has held up.

2. Charley

Charley Vendor

Good ole fashion 60/40 rosin core

bsgkid117 likes this.
  3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

For what we're doing it really isn't very important.

Something thick for doing big wires and something thin for the little stuff, paste for the really little stuff. I use some random electrical solder that i picked up a home depot for the big stuff, and mg chemicals lead-free, no-clean, I think it's 21 or 22 ga, for little stuff. Chipquik solder paste, dunno which exact formulation off the top of my head, but that's an completely different ballgame.

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I bought a bunch of run-of-the-mill 60/40 when the local Radio Shack went out of business and then I bought even more when an Ace Hardware down by the shore went out of business. Some of it is thicker than others. Most of it is the Plain Jane kind that comes coiled up in a little clear tube from RadioShack. I can't tell you anything more about it because the tubes have no labeling or information on them...:laugh: