What Tugboat is doing

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Aug 1, 2007.

1. klibben

klibben Member

small axis convoy:

either jap sub, or i have plans for the S100 Schnellboot i could send you.

As for the chrysanthemum, make the mold if you want but if you go to any hardware store you can buy brass furniture finishing nails that look like it, plus then they dont need painted or anything. I have one on my Kumano.

...its the bottom left one...
    [​IMG]

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

One possibility is to do some of the IJN ships that were converted to carry Kaitens or thos Daihatsu landing craft. I seem to think that after the Oi was removed from the torpedo cruiser role it was so modified.

Any generic tramp steamer would work, but loses some of the uniqueness that you seek.

Pax,
    J.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I found plans for T-103, which is Japan's LST. Skinnier and a little shorter, but still a weight class 2 convoy.

Carl is sending me some pictures of a generic tramp steamer that will be used to make a generic convoy. My problem then is what flag to use on the website for the proud Generic nation :)

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Plain white flag with black text pronouncing the name of the country..."Generica"[;)]

5. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Tiny Crysanthimum!!! BANZAII!!! I have one of those generic steamers done up as a German coastal freighter. They're really fun to drive, but they are quite tippy so you have to put a lot of wieght in them so they don't roll over. I think the real way to win campaign is to have more warships. And people participating, just make it a big 'ol fleet battle. We're good at those. Convoy ships...not so much. ;)

6. klibben

klibben Member

No No No, he said Generic, not French! [;)]

7. Tugboat

Viva Generica!! The proud and fickle people will fight for both sides at the same time!

8. Tugboat

The sanding on the Yammer's Hammers was torturing my poor, recovering nasal passages, so I only got halfway to having the front done. Heavy sanding will have to wait a few days. I did get a present from McMaster in, and spent a few minutes cutting stuffing tubes and driveshafts. They look so cool! I need to get a page put up for Propulsion stuff on the website to show them off. Still have to solder the ends, but they look cool regardless :) This afternoon, I'm going to attempt to get a lot of cleaning done around the shop, as the Build&Bull session is this Saturday. Oh, and I've got to go pick up my huge and wonderful gas grill that my sister gave me, so we can cook :)

Anyone want to come over tomorrow and ride the lawnmauler around? I got the pool ready :)

9. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I can't stand it's those neutrals. At least with the enemy you know where they stand; but you can never tell what those gray-bellied neutries are gonna do next. They sicken me... (Cmdr. Zap Brannigan)

10. Tugboat

I suspect that before next Nats, I'll have a small freighter-looking object bobbing among the waves with a huge IJN battle flag on it :)

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Tugboat, do you want me to send you the photos of the BLT? Or would you like to wait a little longer while I make a 3D computer model of it to get usable cross-sections? I also have full size plans for a 35-inch jap oiler that I CAD-modeled, and I can send that along as well.

12. Tugboat

I can wait for the CAD version of the BLT, The Jap oiler planswould definately be welcome whenever you can email them! I want more convoys :)

Today at the Build&Bull session, much activity took place, with John Wayne's Operation Pacific on the shop TV (supplemented by video from the last Nats set to searing rock 'n' roll):
    -Pete Dmitri stripped his Des Moines down to the hull for a full rebuild
    -Brian Koehler worked on an I-boat for his son's friend to battle with (now we have 2 kids battling)
    -I avoided real work and built a Japanese T-103 transport (Japanese LST) and ran the grill for it's first feast ever :) Pics of the T-103 will be posted, along with others from the B&B, later tonite.
    -Pete D's highly cool wife Robin oversaw our labor.

13. Tugboat

Got a little more done on the T-103 transport. The nose was a bugger (bad plans, had to fix them using what few pics exist of the T-103s) to do, but I think it'll look decent. Once the glue dries on that, I'll work on the back end, and then wood putty the imperfections. Can waxing and mold-making be far behind?

Oh, the primary angles are done on the Yamato main turret. They were a BEAR. I'm glad I'll be able to cast them in the future cause I never want to do this again, lol. Once I get the angles on it, I can do the fun part (adding detail).

A special thank-you goes out to Carl (who sent me plans for the 35" Mehoshi Maru in 1/144) and all you future Omaha-drivers out there should thank Mike (rhinexing) who is generously mailing me his set of 1/144 Omaha plans, asking only that he get a deal on an early hull. Greg of Basin Shipyard will be generating the King George V plug on his CNC mill. All of us who lack such fine machinery can only sob in envy, and be grateful that we have friends who DO have it. :)

14. Tugboat

The T-103 bow and stern are shaped up and slathered with wood putty. The underside of the hull towards the bow needs more work, that gets done this morning. I posted a new pic on the T103 page at my site if anyone is curious.

Last night, I reworked the master list of hulls available so that it's not one big long column, and added Japan and Germany (still some more hulls to add, but at least a decent sample are on there).

15. Tugboat

More work on the T-103 (sanding...lots of sanding) got done. I'd hoped to get it done today, but there are still some imperfections to work out. I'm going to say hope to be done this weekend, with first waxing of the plug on sunday night.

Started refining the angles on the Yamato mains. Started plotting (as I sanded the T103) on what details to include on the main turrets, and how I'll attach the rangefinders.

Because sanding is no fun, I also hung a plans set of HIJMS Takao on the wall to look at periodically. :)

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've been busy. Eric made up another turret to replace the one that got lost in transit. This time we'll do a better job packaging it.

17. Tugboat

Groovy, Carl :) I just ordered a zillion dollars in casting resins and silicone, so I will start casting soon :) The Arctic Corsair is looking pretty, too.

18. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Tugboat,
    I have a shipping quote for the Kent/Canarias and Duke of Edinburgh/Warrior hull molds. I'll email you the amount late this evening (won't be home until after 10PM AST). It's a reasonable fee but more expensive than UPS. I was told UPS won't insure for over $100 unless it's a business shipment vs personal. I won't ship hundreds of dollars in molds without insurance.

If all goes well the Hood mold will be boxed Thursday night and I can get a quote for shipping on Friday. The much smaller Roberts/Abercrombie Class monitor hull mold will be boxed Saturday - I can get a quote for air mail that day.

Next week I'll box the Gorgon/Glatton Class monitor and HMS Vanguard battleship molds. I have to make a 3rd HMAS Albatross carrier hull before that mold can be boxed. Hope to do that within seven to ten days.

If all goes well you should have all seven hull molds by early to mid October.

Bob

19. klibben

klibben Member

Odd, UPS insured a personal package for me that was over $100.

(sorry, didn't mean to intrude)

20. Tugboat

And here are the turrets for the Italian cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni! The plugs were carved by Gascan, who is receiving a set of mains and secondaries for his trouble. The mains are hollowed out, the secondaries are not, but I can't wait to see them on a ship :) [EDIT: my borrowed digital camera had some trouble taking focused pics, sorry. I'll get some better ones tomorrow.]
    [​IMG]