What's Needed?

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JohnmCA72, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

In other words, what are some things that people would like to see "researched & developed"?

What got me thinking about this as a topic was another discussion, about pond weeds. In particular, I was thinking about what sort of "apparatus" could be built to deal with weeds. I've tried several ideas, with limited success.

But I'm not looking for weed control suggestions here. What I'm after is a collection of specific problems that people would like to see solved. Hence the subject title, "What's Needed?" What would you like to see done, not necessarily how would you do it? A good collection of problems might help those who are into doing R&D some ideas where to go.

JM

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

One thing I was thinking of was a gps position logger tied with speed limiter. to limit your speed you just dial in what you want and plug the thing into your esc.

After a battle you could then download the position data and, if most people have one, see a bit of a replay of the battle. There are some slick little gps chips with sufficient speed accuracy for our purposes.

3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Sounds expencive when I sink I mean if [:D]

4. Powder Monkey

How about a cheaper easier Cannon system? I know with one season on the water I have rarely gone out and come back with no shells for one reason or another seams we could make it a bit better than it is with all the new technology

5. GregMcFadden

I think I already have better working (ask justin)... cheaper too if we had any volume at all... but at our run rates cheaper it is not.

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

do you guys have a triple turret for fast gun?

7. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

My first thought was a sailing class.
    It seems like I am always turning my ship Starboard when I need to go to port.
    Or how to judge (Aim) cannons.

8. BoomerBoy17

You mean like some thing that turns you right, when you move the stick right, even if the boat is coming towards you?

9. GregMcFadden

Twins yes sofar, the tripple prototype is waiting assembly in my man-cave.

10. BoomerBoy17

Ive got a graf spee in the making, but ill likely buy from BC anyway

11. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I don't know if anyone can help you with that. Just practice more, I guess...

JM

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Here's something that I'd like to see. A navigational gyroscope. You know how RC helicopters use a gyro to prevent them from spinning around out of control? I'd like a sensor on my ships that detects when the ship starts to drift off-course without rudder input (such as from wind, currents, etc) and adjusts the rudder to compensate. That way, I can finally sail in a straight line even when the wind is blowing! That's always been one of my biggest pet peeves.

13. BoomerBoy17

Thats a neat idea, and maybe could be accomplished in line with the gps thing mentioned above.

14. Powder Monkey

Boy I get in enough trouble with my wife with things I take from around the house for my boat I thoght the Turkey baster was bad man will she be pissed when she cant find our Tom Tom [:p]

15. BoomerBoy17

haha, i can only see that taped to the inside of your Sodak........
    Where's the waterchanneling?
    There is none, i have a Tom Tom!
    oh boy!

16. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Cheap, mainstream ships. Sanctity of the hobby & devoutness of its members is great.... but colossal battles with hundred of sinking newbies.... now that's something else.

17. Powder Monkey

hey I did my part on that sinking thing

18. BoomerBoy17

yup, and so will i, probably at your hand. And justin, i think its a good idea for nuwbs too, and e have a thread working on that issue that hasnt done much lately.

19. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Don't feel like you need to limit ideas to individual ships. Consider infrastructure & support (personal & group/club). What are some things that can make life easier/better pondside or in the shop? How about managing battles or administering clubs?

JM

20. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

After a week, this is all anybody can come up with?

- Position logger/speed limiter
    - Cheaper/easier cannon system
    - Sailing class
    - Navigation (i.e. heading hold) gyro
    - Cheap ships

Is nobody following this topic (185 reads as of now; that's not too much compared to some others)?

Or is it that this hobby is already perfect? If that's the case, then why isn't every club overwhelmed with people beating the doors down to get in?

Just curious, that's all...

JM