What's on the go?

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by HMCS, Mar 26, 2009.

1. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi guys,
    Pretty quiet on this forum, what's everyone up to? Myself, just slugging along on Little Rock's superstructure, gotta love those WW2 superstructures.....NOT. Just ordered a couple ESC's(Viper Marine Mirror 25amp) one for LR and one for Sangamon, never used one before so hopefully I can handle it without letting out the magic poof.

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, the Viper Marines are excellent. Where did you order from? I found a supplier in Ontario, (Ottawa I think). There should be NO WAY to burn out that ESC if you are using 1 per motor. My motors put out a max of 12 and a bit Amps when I am holding the prop!! What is the stall current of your motors? If it is less than the rating on the ESC, there should be no problems.
    J

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi Jay,

I ordered them from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
    I was looking at the 40 amp but the Mirror version has 100% in reverse, downside is they only seem to make it in 25 amp, which is fine for me as my motors together draw 3.1 amps running and around 14 amps stalled, which is well under the 25 amp rating. Haven't installed Sangamon's new motors yet, but she's using the same motors as LR has, thought about going smaller as she's only 38 seconds/100ft but she'll be heavier then LR as well as a lot broader hull to push through the water.

Does the Canadian supplier have a website? How much do they cost? Even though these ones were in GBP it was actually less expensive then ordering from the States, the one place I looked into, Ships'n'Things quoted me 66 USD for just the regular Viper Marine 25 + shipping. These two units from the UK ran me 54.44 + 13 shipping for a total of 67.44 GBP, my card got charged 119.87 Canadian, which is 60 bucks a unit factoring in shipping.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

5. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,
    I'm working on the Ibuki and the I-400 plug. When the I-400 mold is done I'll start on the HMS Abdiel - probably won't finish the mold until July at this rate. Also have to do some work on HMS Black Prince to get it ready to sell, maybe HMS Minotaur too.
    John C. called tonight about the model show at Shearwater (April 4-5) and we talked about some preliminary work at the new Uniacke Lake battle site when the ice is gone. The bottom needs to be cleared of debris and a small launching dock installed. No formal NATCF meeting is planned yet as people are still working on their ships and the site needs to be prepared before we can battle. Looks like many of us are going to be battling in 2 formats this year.
    Bob

6. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hey Jay, was this the place you found here: http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_ESCMarine.htm ??

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I plan to be down for one day of the show for sure, hopefully both. If you guys need a hand with the pond don't hesitate to call or e-mail, Jay has my #'s.
    The Ryan Leet came back across the pond and has a contract off Hibernia/White Rose towing icebergs for Husky Oil so it's looking like I'll be heading back around the 18/19th of April for a 28 day hitch, looks like I'll still have 4 weeks in the vacation bank from my last hitch. Good news is I'll be back just in time for the start of the season in mid May, and if the schedule stays constant I'll just be getting off from a hitch and will be able to attend IRCWCC Nats in R.I. Now I just need to start a boat for that, LR would be turned into swiss cheese in that enviroment.

8. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Scott,
    Steve Crane plans to attend IRCWCC NATS in R.I., and John Coffil might be able to go too. I'd like to attend but it depends on Kim's work schedule for the summer and when she'll be free to spend time at the cottage in NB. If she gets the acting gig she's hoping for she'll be working in NS all summer instead of vacationing at the cottage so I'll be free to attend NATS.
    I have 4 combat ready ships available for use in either IRCWCC or Treaty format but really want to finish the Soviet CL Krasni Krim with it's 4 bow spurt guns for the Campaign Lite event. It'll have to be a very fast build without the usual detail work.
    Bob

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Yes I would really like to get down to NATS, it would be a very neat experience thats for sure, just hard to say 100% yes until it gets a bit closer to the date.Now I just have to pick a ship and get going on it so it's ready in time.

10. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i have gotten nothing done all winter been real busy with work and such and everytime i have had spare time girlfriend/ friends have been around. but washington has been de-sheeted and vtd has been gutted. also Graf Spee needs to be put together and painted.

11. Jay Jennings

Yes that is the place. They have pretty good prices and there is no customs to worry about, ask Paul about that.
    J

12. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Funny how that works, I have been lucky so far in that all my monster orders from BC have come through without charges, however I have been charged on just a single cannon and then again on a single pump. BC usually ships UPS, Rick is nice enough to mail my stuff US Postal Service at my request, I remember back in the day(98) ordering my Moltke hull,reg and co2 bottle from Swampy, by the time UPS got it here I had to pay about 2/3's of what the order cost me. That was back in the good old days of 40% exchange rate.

13. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I'll have to wait and see if they ding me on these. The place does have fast turn around though, 20 min after I ordered them I got an e-mail saying they were processing my order and about 3 hours later an e-mail saying my order had shipped, suppose to be here in 7-14 days.

14. Jay Jennings

Scott, I am very interrested in seeing the ESCs when they arrive. I want to see if they have instant reverse, I have heard that not all Viper Marines do. If they don't, I am curious of the difference. They do cost less where you ordered them than where I am looking at. If you could let me know when they arrive maybe we could set up a bit of a test for them. There are at least 3 others here who are going to order ESCs and the more info, the better.
    J

15. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I just sent an e-mail to Mtroniks asking that question. The Mirror is the same price as the standard 25 amp Viper Marine, the only difference(besides the 100% reverse) I noted on the Mtroniks website was the mirror is 'plug and play' where as the standard is 'Digital one touch set up'. This is the info off the Mtroniks website:

"The Viper Marine MIRROR is a brushed speed control designed specifically for use in RC model boats where symetrical movement is required. It has a 25A motor limit, has proportional forwards and reverse and identical operation in both directions.The Viper Marine MIRROR is a Brushed Speed Control designed specifically for use in RC model boats where identical operation in both directions is required, for example a bow thruster!

The Marine MIRROR, 'Mirrors' the operation exactly about the neutral point of your transmitter. It also features the new Plug n Play set up which in effect means .... no set up!!! The Speed control learns as you use it and calibrates itself to your transmitter without you having to do anything!

The Marine MIRROR has a 25Amp motor limit, what this means is that you can use any, DC Brushed motor, as long as the current drawn by that motor does not exceed 25Amps under load (with the prop connected, under water).NEW built in failsafe to protect against complete loss of signal or when out of range (compatible with all manufacturers receivers)**INDUSTRY FIRST**
    ABSOLUTE short circuit and motor overload protection
    25Amp motor limit
    1.2A BEC
    Dual core microprocessor
    5 -10 cells input voltage (6.0-12.0V)
    Adjustable features include programmable reverse (including disable)
    4 Layer super power circuit board
    Thermal integrated protection system
    Plug n Play set up ..... NO set up!!!
    Legendary 100% waterproof design
    Dimensions : L39.0mm x W34.0mm x H13.0mm
    Weight : 55g

The thing I keyed on was the "'identical operation in either direction, for example a bow thruster" which would seem it is instant reverse unless it has delay in either direction which wouldn't really work for a thruster.

16. Jay Jennings

That does make sense. It's just the Ontario store mentions instant reverse in it's writeup. I have one here now that can be used for comparison. I just wonder how long the delay is if they are not instant reverse.
    J

17. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Well I just checked on the Mtroniks website: http://www.mtroniks.net/products.asp/subcatID/2/brushed-marine-speed-controllers.htm and none of the product info's mentioned instant reverse, so if you have one and it's instant reverse, thats another good sign.

18. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi,

Just heard back from a Paul K at Mtroniks and the Mirror does have instant operation in both directions.

19. Jay Jennings

Ok, that is good!
    J

20. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Well my ESC's from the UK arrived this morning, they were mailed on the 25th so it was pretty quick shipping. I escaped unscathed as customs didn't get me. My BC order also arrived today, it was quick as well being mailed on the 26th, I lucked out there as well with customs.