What's the fastest you've got your boat up to?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by JustinScott, Jan 18, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What is your speed record, I saw a NABS Yamato really making some rooster tail.. anyone else just try to see what she got?

I got the Alsace up "faster than I can run" once. I say that because it only traveled for about 10 feet before it blew all fuses. (Darn race motors!) You should have see the wall of wake it had behind it, VERY impressive![:p]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

With a pair of 550's in my old I-boat direct-drive, we clocked her at 13 seconds, up on plane. The stern was not visible. God only knows how fast she'd have been without the drag props on.

3. Tugboat

Oh, and yes, I know that WWI capital ships are not supposed to get "up on plane" :)

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

HEH HEH HEH that's my Yamato Justin. I haven't clocked it but I'd say she was going about 100 ft in 16- 18 seconds. She drags a 4 inch wave behind her which when I PASS by a sittting cruiser or low battleship it usually lifts them high or swamps them. Ships following me cannot maintain course in my wake . If I BACK up then hit full forward a monster wave envelopes the ship behind the wave. The ship is running on 2 j600s at 6v 10 or 12 ooo rpm I think on a gear reduction of 3:5:1 using a 12 tooth pinion. The props are counter rotating solid brass, with 4 blades and are
    2 inches in diameter. They are too good for her. I had an ESC in it but since removed it. The ship on the video was using large drag props which was producing the large rooster. THe dragprops also had 1/3/4 inch washers attached to slow her down. It worked but it produced the most awful sucking sound and small whirpool eddies could be seen just forward of the props as the ship was moving. It would suck smaller ships along the hull when I passed close alongside.

Normally the ship would have the 1&3/4 in diam 4blade 25 pitch props brass counter rotating and this brings the ship down greatly in speed making it run it's normal 100ft course in 24 seconds without a ESC or oversized drag props. I use 1 1/4 in 3 blade plastic Graupner drag props and they work fine. So this year no more Rooster tail. The model when it's running at waterline level you can't see most of the hull as it is sitting in a deep hole in the water it creates when moving at high speed. The amazing thing is that the bulbous bow and the flare of the bow actually deflects the high bow wave nicely and keeps it off the forcastle. Oh I also use a pair of water cooling coils to cool the motors. The water is picked up behind the props and empties out beneath the flight deck through the lifeboat entry doors port and stbd.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

You can see her as she is on the "INTERNATIONAL YAMATO OWNERS ASSOCIATOIN" website. It's a site that gathers all the Yamato RC owners in the world. The full bio on my Yamato is there as well as many many pictures of the ship and some interior shots.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

My Spahkreuzer is capable of dragging its entire quarterdeck underwater when reversing. Whenever I do people think it's heading for the bottom but I haven't sunk once from that. At all ahead full, SP-1 goes nearly 50 knots, outracing the fastest legal ships in the water. Propulsion comes from a trio of 7.2v 22mm diameter maxon motors, so the maximum power draw is about 1.5 amps. I'll never understand why people put in racing motors, when a few maxons will get you up to speed with far less power draw.

There's a few guys who visited from Oregon, who put a trio of race motors in a Spahkreuzer hull. It wasn't exactly hydroplaning, but it was running circles around everything else on the pond, and kicking up a giant rooster tail. Then it accidentally backed up onto shore and tore apart the gearboxes, so I never got to hunt it down in battle :(

7. JustinScott

The Iowa has 4x 2&1/4" props direct drive to 4x 12V 600 motors. This is way more speed/torque than I would ever dream I need, however again its an experimental ship.

I will cut the motors to three, probably reduce the winding & I've left room for gearboxes & slipper gears. However, for the first season I don't want the extra complexity to add to the new ship blues so I'm keeping it like this & using 3 speed controllers to try to maintain some "reasonable" speeds during battles.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Your going to blow the doors off of her with 4 props direct drive at 12v using 600 motors especially with 2&1/4 inch dia props. Prepare for warpspeed Capn. Good luck

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

I think North Carolina has only been at proper speed a handful of times since I owned her. Letting her "Go" I would say it was running faster than 15 or 14 seconds. If I were to guess. The stern was visible from the dock with a little more than half and inch of water bulging over the top. The quickest I've turned... Well John will attest to this. Probably around a second. Hard to port and full power from a dead stop and then a quick stop, ramming the side of Sharnroast. I swear the damn boated reared like a horse as it took off!

10. JustinScott

That's hilarious.

Yeah, I know.. The 600s were an accident, they weren't supposed to be that big but when they came I thought... "What the hell". Right now I just want to be careful not to burn up the props shafts in their tubes. What do you use to grease the shafts?

Looking at the photo of your yamato, I'm wondering if the iowa will simply get sucked down to the bottom on her own!

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I use lithium grease. It works very very well and won't wash out. There's a good chance your going to pull your stern under. My YAMATO digs a "hole" in the water. When you stop suddenly the water is going to cave in over your stern so make sure it is sealed back there. Also if it is not well sealed the rooster tail will catch up to your stern and continually pour itself on the fantail as you reach your top speed and continue driving..no kidding. Be prepared and make sure your pump is activated every 15 to 30 seconds to pump out the water othewise you will flood quickly back there.

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

I've seen what it can do first hand Justin. It ain't pretty. Curt, should I be following some of this advice for Bismarck or do you suggest something else?

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well we hope to avoid that. Think about it..if Yamato is using 2 600s with a gear system that has 12 tooth pinon, has 1/1/4 inch drag props, and is turning 2 inch props and it's pulling her stern down with that much reservie buoyancy you can bet a ship that weighs beween 36 to 44 lbs is going to get pulled under and go even faster. We hope to avoid that by setting yours up correctly as much as possible. If your running just the center prop on direct drive Craig you don't have to use a 2.5 inch prop with 4 or 5 blades. Maybe a 2 inch prop with 3 blades. Depends on the motor. If the motor has high torque it will turn a very large prop with power no problem. If high rpm then you want to use a 3 blade prop.
    Are you using 1 shaft for propulsion forward? and say the 2 outer wings for reverse?

Tom's Nagato had these 2 blade really crappy props but hardly any pitch and surface blade area.They were running full power direct drive 6v on 2 high rpm 600S. I believe the motors were 11,000 RPM ea. He had fantastic accelleration and stopping and he manuevered with power in the turns but ... he did not exceed 24secs.

Gears is a good bet all around Craig, keep it consistent. You can work with a direct drive central shaft for forward only use a 2 inch prop 3 or 4 blade and use smaller props for thte outerwing shafts on gears or direct if you plan to use a speed control on each motor.

You have lots of options but I can figure it out for you.

14. Tugboat

What's Craig driving, again? I'm outfitting Gneisenau with only the center prop, and I was advised to run a 2" prop with gear reduction (by several people who've driven Scharnies)

15. Craig

Craig Active Member

Hey Tuggs. Bismarck is the my new girl. The chance at using all three props is fascinating as I can use the center one for forward, the two outside for reverse.