where and when

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by sinkin321, Apr 12, 2010.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

How many of you think we should go back to were we came from? I am thinking of the old days of every second weekend at the grove. The permit can be picked up after May first, we have all the gear, and a schedule can be posted starting from May on to whenever. This way if you can show up great if you can't then maybe next time. things were done this way in the past and it worked well and i think it can work again. We battled so little last year and so late in the year that it was another season lost, with maybe 3 or 4 ships in 3 or 4 battles. I for one will be out with Tirpitz ready to battle anyone who shows up, ship worked great last year and is ready to go with new guns ordered. So how about it, battle, or sit at home and think about it? I will be at the Grove on MAY 23rd. So if I am there by myself then I win, simple as that.

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I would say go may 22nd (a Saturday as i work on the Sunday). I am in the middle of shift preferancing and hopefully can obtain a M-F shift that gives me the weekend off. It wont take place until may 30th. So if it is possible the 22nd would work better for me.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I think the old way was the best. It maintained interest in the hobby and was an incentive for people to get their models working and keep them battle ready. With only a few battles per year there is little bang for the buck in the hobby and others become more attractive. Knowing a battle has been scheduled is motivation for me to get the guns fixed on Minotaur.
    Bob

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I too am in favor of every 2nd weekend at the grove. It is time to get some boats completed.

5. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

I think people have forgotten how busy the Grove has become. If the weather is warm there are swimmers. There are always Kayakers from the rental place there and it is used for the Triathalon.

Still, it is the best spot we've got, and it should be fine until the middle of June at least, and after September.
    I plan on being there on the 22nd

6. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I will be there, just verify the date so we all are on the same page.
    J

7. Bob Pottle

Suggest we look at Spectacle Lake in Burnside as an alternative spot. Nobody swims there and the size is relatively small. Access to the shore has been greatly improved since last year by tree clearing and there is a suitable preparation and launch area within 50'-100' from the roadside parking. The dead end street (Spectacle Lake Drive) road ends in the Blue Cross parking lot which is not in use by BC on weekends and within a short walk of the potential battle site. The only unknown is depth. Will have to snorkel the lake when the water is warmer.
    Bob

8. slow_and_ugly

Whoops.....I meant the 23rd

9. Darth Rob

Darth Rob New Member

Hello all. If I can make it I will come by and try and give the Derfflinger another float test. I was at the hobby show at Shearwater last weekend on Saturday and was talking to a couple of the guys. Obviously I didn't sell the Derf and I am thinking about joining the fleet again.

10. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Cool Darth! I am Jay, one of the guys you were talking to. We can definitely use another ship to shoot at...I mean another member of the club.
    J

11. Bob Pottle

This weekend Jay and I talked about Spectacle Lake as a potential battle site. We need to know the depth as otherwise it has advantages over the Grove (no swimmers, canoes or kayaks). when the water is warmer (hopefully by late May) I'll snorkel the lake and check the depth.
    Bob

12. slow_and_ugly

Bluenose marathon is that weekend. May 21-23. There are various events, but the big race is on Sunday.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The last two years they have left the grove alone. It has not been used for any way stations.