Where are we getting CO2 tanks these days?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by notSoGnarly, Feb 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

I need a 3-4oz tank for my Cleveland class build and a 5oz tank for my Baden class but most of what I'm seeing is soda stream or similar.

Also whats the on the pond experience with aluminum vs steel, I figure its a save weight but gain corrosion issues with aluminum?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The small bottles you can get from BC, although it may take a while. Alternatively, a 3000PSI HPA bottle is physically identical to a standard CO2 bottle. Same construction, pressure ratings, everything. I have a few bottles that actually have on the label "13 cu.in." for HPA and "5oz" for CO2. The only real difference is whether you put a CO2 type valve on, or if you put a HPA-style regulator/valve setup on. The same is true for "spare air" compact air cylinders for diving - these are also commonly used by paintballers who just put a HPA valve on.

As far as aluminum vs steel.... aluminum is more corrosion-resistant than steel. It is not as strong though, so it takes up more space for a given amount of CO2. None of your ships are particularly sensitive on space, so get yourself a few 5's and call it a day. The extra gas just means your cruiser will be more leak-resistant.

notSoGnarly and darkapollo like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

I did not know this was a thing. Looking at some ebay listings, the 0.25l size appears to be approximately the same length as my 5 oz bottle (18cm), but is 1cm larger diameter, so 2.33" vs 2".

I'm not sure about the output threads, because I relied on Tim to source valves etc, and Smart Parts is long gone, sadly.