Where to buy Props

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by bsgkid117, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I'm looking for a good source for the popular Kort nozzle style props in use today. With the Prop Shop fire and subsequent announcement that they will be shutting down operation, I was curious where everyone was finding them? I have a set of nice cast props that are on the Dunkerque right now, but I'm looking to take a step up in size and figured if I'm going bigger might as well get the new hip style as well.

Thanks guys.

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You will not find any. Prop Shop was the only place to get them. Until BC starts casting some you're out of luck. Best bet is to find a used ship for sale with a set on them, worth their weight in hobby gold.

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Well I guess the cat is out of the bag.

I've been working on putting that together for a while, still have a bunch of rudders to add so it's a work in progress. (Also some redesign work on the rudders to get the cost down.)

Edit for clarity: The bronze props are cast not printed. They print the item in wax and then use traditional lost wax techniques to cast it.

The cast bronze props aren't cheap ( I hear they are worth thier weight in hobby gold) but some of them are pretty close to propshop pries. With the variety in size/handedness needed for the hobby and almost non-existent market I doubt it's cost effective to cast them except as part of a larger operation.(propshop was an arm of Swan castings)

The point of the plastic props is to buy them for testing/fitting out before having to buy the cast prop. Don't know how they would hold up in combat but feel free to try and report back.

Feel free to ask questions I'll answer the best I can.

(This was supposed to be a longer more detailed post, maybe after the kiddo goes to bed tonight.)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Panzer, WillCover, Beaver and 2 others like this.
  5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I see on your site that you are also going to be offering shilling rudders in the appropriate sizes for the hobby, which is great. Count me in for some 1.75" kort props and 1.75" tall Class 4 fishtails! :D

6. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Chris, is there any flexibility on the bore size for some of the larger designs? 3/16 would be great

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

The Class 4s are up now, still working on getting all the others uploaded and setup.

Yeah the CAD can do that. If its possible to get that to be modifiable from the Shapeways interface I don't know how to yet. (I've also only had the store going since the 14th so I'm still learning a lot about how the backend works.) Anyway let me know what size(s) you want and I'll get that setup in the next few days.