Where would you like to see this site go?

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Dec 23, 2006.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

In one year, what would you like to see this site become? What would you like to see this site have that it doesn't have already?

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

As far as the site in general goes, you've done a nice job! You might want to consider some sort of strategy to rotate certain normally-static elements, such as the main page graphic, FDR quote, etc. so that things look "fresh" often. Things like that can make the site look new, so that when visitors visit they immediately see something that's different from their last visit, & may tend to linger longer. It's also pretty easy to do, as opposed to "real" content that takes longer to develop. You might also want to consider some sort of gimmick. Once, I added a "warship recognition" game to the "splash" page of a club website. It was easy for users, a fun challenge, created a great buzz, & drove traffic through the roof.

The forums need a larger "community", & that takes time to build. There are about a dozen or so online forums that I know of that have something to do with model ships and/or combat. Don't give up the promotional efforts - those need to be a part of your life for as long as you run the site! You might want to take a more active approach to drawing users from other forums (being careful not to give the appearance that you're trying to "steal" members away) by pointing out where specific topics are also covered in rcnavalcombat.com, have pertinence beyond just one group, etc. For example, a topic under discussion in the Yahoo! Big Guns group may be of interest to somebody else, such as Queen's Own. You might suggest that the topic be "copied" over to rcnavalcombat.com & notify the other groups that it's there as well. Monitor as many other forums as you can, & when a topic comes up mention that "They've got some interesting takes on this at rcnavalcombat.com" or "That might be of interest to other groups - let's post this over at rcnavalcombat.com", etc. Ask others to do likewise, so it's not just you "pimping" ;-)

It's hard to over-promote. I often use Charmin as an example of how to do effective promotion: Charmin sells a lot of toilet paper, but it's not because they ran a clever ad one time, long ago, & that was all. Charmin sells a lot of toilet paper because they're constantly advertising, refining their message, and staying in front of people's eyeballs. Ask anybody at random what "Charmin" is, & 99% of them will be able to tell you. That is some serious brand-awareness, which is what you should be trying to achieve.

JM

3. JustinScott

John, I agree with your comments.

I have always planned to cycle the media used on the site. I have a list of quotes that I will cycle the text where the FDR quote now is.

I'm also planning to make the site more like wikipedia, in that anyone can log on and edit what is written...

You are right John, I've slacked off in regards to advertisement. Just been busy with the holidays & stuff. I will get right back on that.

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I've thought for awhile that "Wiki" model is something that might be interesting for this topic. It would be interesting to see where that goes.

JM

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

Where would I like to see on this site in a year?

That's easy. I see this as a definitive way to bring everyone under the "umbrella" as it were. They may not all want to, but, this should reach out to everyone in the sport. Once we have a logically speaking voice and a spot in the Web to base our thoughts. We can begin to develop ways to improve, promote, and enrich our sport.

This is an excellent sounding board. I think I would like to see... everyone on it. Promoted to any new or perspective members.

As far as what it doesn't have? I can't find the club I belong to on your map.... now let me see I think I know where it should be...

:) Just kidding Justin. This is it buddy. I thought up THE BSTF for selling, trading and buying ships' items. You just went a step further. I hope this thing flys!

6. JustinScott

I'm working on the global map... That and the photo gallery. I made steps toward the photo gallery, as all "free combat pages" got a nice (belated) christmas present & now have galleries. Now I just have to improve that step to the main "best of the best" one.

7. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

See if you can find a way to automate the selection of what's "best of the best". If you let people vote for their favorites as an ongoing thing, it might drive up interest & traffic.

JM

8. JustinScott

Exactly what I was thinking.

See:
    Visit this site

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

UNderstood on the global map... *grins* Justin you shoudl have known there would be a stick in the mud .... LOL Australia and Canada need to be represented!