Which cruiser for me??

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by sarges_heroes2003, Feb 14, 2009.

1. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

So I was lurkin in the swampworks thread down in the 4 sale section, trolling for a good rook cruiser to get for my self. I see they have several ships that cought my eye. I can get just one but don't know which to get. plz advise.
    The ships I am considering are Lutzo or Exeter, maybe the Huston but mostly leaning tward those first two. I can not get both so I have to pick.

Thanks,
    Darren M.

P.S. I will be playing with the MWC Rules format, FYI

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Really great list here.
    Exeter will be the smallest and lightest. But if you can keep the weight under control, she would get extra coolness points. A lot of history. And we don't really see very many of them on the water.

Lutzow would be the largest, and heaviest, and an easier build because of that. Really great boat.

The Houston is somewhere in the middle.
    Medium size and weight. Lots of history. Cool looking.

Do you have someone to help with the build? Or would you be building on your own?
    Mikey

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

No matter what you choose, youll have fun. Youve narrowed it down to three decent choices. If you want another good option, look at the HMS Swiftsure class, three units, but same size as the fiji class and heavier.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Not that I have a pecuniary interest, but the Kent class is in the middle of the range, too...

5. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I might have gone for that UK light cruiser w/ the steped deck tugboat but u never reply to my emails or PM's. sooo....

6. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

7. BoomerBoy17

Steve Hill of Canada has the Fiji hull, which is nearly identical to the Swiftsure. In reality the only difference is an addition of 2 feet in beam, so not much at all.

8. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Hhhmmm so many choices so little spending money. =/

Thanks,
    Darren (leaning tward DKM Graff Spee) Matthews
    P.S. I will think on it.

9. BoomerBoy17

I know that feeling. Ive cleaned out all of my Xmas cash on the boat, plus more, but it is sooooo worth it.
    No Problem,
    Will (hoping you go with the Spee)

10. pba

pba Active Member

Dont rule out the suffren from BC. It has dual rudders and 3 shafts so you can run only the center shaft and cut down on cost and complexity. It turns on a dime and gives change. I think it is the best heavy cruiser on the water.

11. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Wow too many choices here !! They are all good picks.I would tend to lean toward the HMS Exeter, it is different and like said above there is not many HMS cruisers out there.A lot of history and a very cool looking ship.
    Buddy

12. pba

pba Active Member

If the suffren is not in contention then I would get the exeter not many out there and if in a battle you run into a Graff-Spee mabey you can get revenge for the pounding it gave you in south america

13. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Is that George Leygues Swampworks has listed a 2.5 units cruiser? I was thinking that one had a "transome" stern or in other words some thing like the American Square stern on it? I am rather facinated by the flat sterns advantages in battle. =)

Let me know,
    Darren

P.S. Bob Hoernemann has emailed me. Says my order for DKM Graff Spee guns has come in. Maybe I ought to stick with the spee?? seems like it is wanting to come to my harbor, hmmmm
    P.S.S. Swampy just got back with me, I am asking for the Graff Spee. =P

14. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I favor the Suffern also. In MWC, it is a 23 second ship that turns VERY well. Like already mentioned, the single driven center prop is simple to set up and adds to the effectiveness of the ship's dual rudders. The ship looks nice too and somewhat unique in that not many are actually on the water battling. Also, the French ships can battle as Axis or Allied for twice the fun.

The disadvantage of battling a Suffern is the verbal jabs from Axis and Allied alike for being French. ;)

15. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Ya I know the french comments would be coming, but they can say em to my square stern while staring down my stern guns!!! =P

16. BoomerBoy17

But, there is also the issue of going in reverse and acelerating, that will show lots of Red along one side, not good for a rookie. Also, the Suffren, i have heard, has too much hull volume. Let him go with a hull that has a good rep first.

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

The G.L. light cruiser from Swampy does in fact have the square stern.
    Very nice hull, and a great ship. Arguably, one of the best light cruisers on the water.
    Mikey

18. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A properly built Suffern will not tip while turning. Same goes for a Lutzow/Graf Spee.

19. BoomerBoy17

The Spee is a two shaft one rudder ship, so it wont have that issue to begin with. But that is to say that it will be built properly. Nothing against you, i know my ship will have issues, but i think that will turning is likely good with a suffern, the chances of getting a below are higher due to the single prop. I dont think it matters too much, i think one of the hardest parts of this hobby is actually deciding which ship to build. A very difficult proposition indeed. Pick what you like, either based on looks or history or whatever. Its a rookie cruiser and thats it.

20. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Swampy does not has the Suffren. We are talking about the George Legeuse (or G.L. from here on out) its a twin prop single rudder ship, I think.:confused: I just liked its square stern when I was at the Fall Fray in Springfield, when it was on the watter I could not bring The Bike any where near it. It could out turn, out run and out do that poor old tired "bike" ship. Thats why I ask about it, and Bob H. says he has a 75 rd straight gun for me so it would be perfect.
    Thanks,
    Darren M.