Which cruiser for me??

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by sarges_heroes2003, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

It's best to arm the GL with twin 50 round sterns and a 1/2 unit pump. Though I can give you a 50 mag if you want. we have a few extras.
    My GL can't out turn The Bike. The Bike spins like a top. The GL is just so much faster and lighter, very nimble on the water.

2. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

It did seem to be the better ship at the Fall Fray. There was a Deutchland Class there also. He seemed to be like a big target for the bike to pick on. I found it quite easy (may be the memory) to get lined up on it for a shot. hhhmmmm

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I still say the Mogami, at Nats this year, I did not see any cruiser that could out turn it, and with the superlow freeboard, she is like a 2 unit cruiser, does not take much damage. And the hulls are available from Australia, or the fellow in Canada. Of course I like the Axis ships pver the Allied, except when i'm shooting at them.

4. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Last I heard the guy in canada sold his mogami mold and there is no access to them now. such a shame I hope Battlers connection or NABS gets them in production again, They are a great boat.

thanks,
    Darren69

5. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I remember why that Deutchland was such an easy target now, he kept trying to use his bow 50 on the bike and I would just get the bike into a hard turn. Then shoot him with the twin 50's =D

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im setting my spee up with triple sterns, which is likely the best way. That would make a good ship, stern guns only.
    Ive heard it said that the bow gun is the sign of a rookie.

7. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

This leads me to say it depends on the rule set you are planning to run. If my main rule set were to be IRCWCC instead of MWC I would of gone the Graf Spee for the triple sterns. It was one of my favorite WWII ships as s kid for some odd reason (yeah and odd kid was more into battleships, books and history at 10 than TV). But in MWC the Graf Spee isn't allowed triple sterns it is forced to have a 1 unit pump not a half unit pump. Thus it basically just has 25 more shots in if in a dual stern set up. For such as small ship with ability for triple sterns in IRC the Deutschland class pocket battleship I would think would be a dangerous 3 unit ship. If your going for bang for your buck in MWC, which your profile says you are, I would go for the Houston (it is the route I am going for my first ship). If you like the look of the Deutschland then by all means do it =D.
    one caveat.. I am a new comer as well so take my "advice" at face value.. I think some one mentioned when I was looking for advice "Do what you want to you are the one that is going to live it".

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that small ship speeds are diffrent between IRCWWC and MWC. In IRCWWC, the Deutschland class gets triple sterns and runs at 24 seconds (the same as most large battleships). In MWC, the same ship only gets dual sterns with an extra 25 rounds on one cannon and runs at 23 seconds. The IRCWWC Deutschland packs a punch with triple sterns but may have trouble getting away from the battleships. The MWC Deutschland has less of a punch, but can run from anything larger than a cruiser and moves a lot of water with it's 1 unit pump (harder to sink!).

If you haven't yet, look at the rule set you are building for ... it might influeance your decision. :)

9. shakeyboba

shakeyboba Member

I see you have not considered the Oregon City Class that is for sale. The Oregon City class are 33 Knt ships with tripple stern Cannons . You can get the price off line if interested.

Bob

10. pba

pba Active Member

I have my Lutzow set up with 75front and 75 rear. I have my Spee set up with 2 75s in stern ,trips are a bitch to tune not that twins arent ,but one less gun to go bad or jam. That is one of the reasons I went to treaty , a lot more flexibility in unit placement.

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I find it odd how many people have issues getting their guns tweaked. I've lost count of how many times I've sat in a room with someone playing with their guns. If you have a good set, like BC guns or guns made by someone who knows what they are doing, they should be easy to tweak.
    I've made, over 100 in the last couple years. Some of them work perfectly right off the bat. Most have a problem or two but once they are fixed they seam to work well for a long time.
    It takes some practice to know how to get good tweaks, but it's not that hard.

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Bob from a rookies perspective getting guns tweaked can be a bit of trial and error for their first full season. First off having a good set of small needle nose pliers was a major help to me, but then I found out how the slightest movement of the nut can affect the gun. I am still working on getting a good feel for it on mine. for now I can get decent shots, but I am seeking harder shots from my guns. So tweaking is very important to get a good feel for. Truly practice makes better in this case. I will soon take advantage of my Air Compressor at home to temp fill an old Paintball 20 oz bottle to use for practice tweaking at home on days off from work.

13. phill

phill Active Member

Tweaking the guns is really simple if you use the right approach.
    !) don't put your hand in front of the gun (I had to learn this the hard way...)
    2) Don't look at the gun. ( you can't see anything useful anyway)
    3) Listen to the gun as it fires. What you want is a sharp pop with almost no delay from hitting the stick. If there is a delay, it is too tight and a oversized bb will jam in the breach. If the sound is softer, you aren't getting enough velocity and your bb's will bounce off the other ships. (I don't mind this if you are shooting at My ship...) Once you hear a well tweaked gun, you will understand where you need to go and will find that it is fairly easy to do.
    4) Remember that guns are temp sensitive. Tweaking the gun in the morning works fine for the first battle but as the day and your guns warm up, you probably want to tweak them again or they will probably jam as the O-ring expands with heat. This is more important on hot sunny days. It doesn't apply to Tacoma in January when the weather is 36 degrees and blowing hard. ( now, why were we out there?)