Which prop for these shafts?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Skeeterbug, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Skeeterbug

Skeeterbug New Member

EFD008E2-4DF6-45DD-96E8-02D546D4000E.jpeg Hello all. I recently started building a USS Texas from a kit purchased from Strike Models some time back. I started looking at the drive system and decided to go with dual 5mm shafts driven by a pair of 550 motors. The problem I’m having is with finding appropriate props for the drive shafts I purchased off eBay (don’t hate, they were reasonably priced). These shafts have drive dogs on them for what looks like racing props. I don’t think those are appropriate for a 47” battleship. I had seen some on Model-dockyard but those are all threaded, and honestly I can’t figure how they stay on short of lock tight.

Any suggestions on where I could find compatible props? Will the threaded props work on a shaft with the drive dogs?

2. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

it looks like you could take the drive dog off, seems they are just held on with a set screw by the picture you provided. then get a prop that has a set screw to hold it on, i would imagine that they would have put flats on that part of the shaft for the set screw they used. wouldn't need the threaded part, could cut it off

3. Skeeterbug

Skeeterbug New Member

I appreciate the feedback. I have been looking and not finding a diverse number of retailers offering 5mm shaft props. Another option would be getting a larger prop and using a shim collar to make it fit the 5mm shaft. Alternatively I can replace the 5mm shaft with something small, but I like the strength of the 5 mm setup.

Do you or any other members know of a place to buy a 5mm shaft prop with a set screw? Are the racing props something I can use? Those are more readily available.

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Most people running thread-on props use loctite, some thread them onto the shaft and then braze them in place.

5. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

If you ask the folks at BC nicely, they might make a set of props with a larger hole. They have made 3/16s in the past and you can easily overdrill that to true 5mm.

6. Skeeterbug

Skeeterbug New Member

Thank you all for the assistance. I have found some that will work. This being my first large scale build, I’ll probably be back with mor qts. Cheers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020