Which Ship Part II

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by GeekSpeed, Jun 19, 2013.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hi again all.
    I have discovered that trying to decide what ship to build is one of the hardest parts of this hobby. I have decided on which battlewagon to build (thanks for the input), but I gave it some thought and figured it might be better if I do a smaller boat first. Now I am looking at cruisers. I have a small Capitani Romani class ship, but I traded for her, so this will be the first real build that I will (hopefully) complete. I was GOING to do Oyodo, but the Profile Morskie plans are totally off from about midships forward. Scratch that one. Going over the plan sets that I have (and that appear to be correct), I have the following choices:
    Algerie
    Zara class (actually a Pola hull with a Zara super)
    De Ruyter
    I would love some feedback from some of the more experienced builders. I want this build to be as easy as possible so that I have a relatively high chance of actually completing a boat.
    Thanks!
    Capt. OCD

2. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Find some miyukikai plans for the Oyodo. www.freetimehobbies.com has some of the Miyukikai plansets available. If you already have a Capitani Romani I suggest you build the Zara. There are few Italian ships actually on the water relative to the historical size of their navy, but there are plenty of Frenchies. If I recall right the de Ruyter has way too much freeboard, but I have never seen one modeled. All three should be about the same as far as building, although I think the Zara hull is available in fiberglass.

Ron Hunt

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Zara has a very round bottom and is very tippy.
    Algerie is too long.
    DeRuyter is too light.

4. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

If you are looking at the Algerie you should really consider the Suffren as well. She is slightly longer (~3") and similar size otherwise but she has twin rudders and three shafts instead of one rudder and 4 shafts on the Algerie. Power just the center shaft and she can turn really nicely! The only thing I can fault the Suffren for is her lack of sidemounts, but she is a cruiser so that's not really fair. Both are easy to build with a fair bit of room and weight.

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Go Dutch;-) But I would go with Java if it were my choice!