Which to build?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by JKN, Jan 14, 2011.

1. JKN

JKN Member

I have finally chosen which class of ship to build, the Indiana Class Battleship.
    But which one to buld I dont know.
    It will be for treaty and will have twin 75 round bb cannons in the stern and 1gpm pump.
    I have found the plans at digitalnavy.com.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Opps ... miss-posted. Sorry!

3. JKN

JKN Member

Miss posted?

4. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Any relation to Miss Aligned or Miss Placed????? :)
    J

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

How about Miss Shenimpossible?

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hello there . Very interesting choices, very small you will have to build like a destroyer wont you. I have plans for the USS Oregon and she had a great deal of history. After serving with the navy the story goes that she was bought by the school kids collecting, dimes, pennies and anything else they could get. Then the navy in the great wisdow in ww2 decided to scrap her for the metal, but wound up useing her hull as like an armored barge. She broke loose and wandwered around the pacific before being found and then scrapped in japan of all places! I grew up in oregon and have one of the few remaining pecies of her hard wood deck.I have been thinking of building her for years but thought the size would be very tight at least.
    Buddy

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Having seen a 1:144 scale model of the USS Oregon and compared it to my own IJN Mikasa predreadnought, I gotta say that is one TINY ship. I believe it is possible to do in Big Gun, using non-rotating guns, but it's a helluva challenge. It may be easier in Fast Gun, where your armament alone won't take up over half your usable space. If you succeed, despite the difficulties, the rewards are great. The Oregon is more compact than many other predreads, and it also has one whole deck less freeboard. That's a lot less target area, plus your guns are lower to the water. Its scale prop/rudder arrangement isn't quite as nice as the Mikasa's semibalanced design, but it's standard predreadnought fare and still turns you around inside a toilet bowl.

As far as which name to choose? Well... First of all, I must point out that you missed one important name on your list: USS Illinois :D :D :D ;)
    On a more serious note, the history of USS Oregon is far more interesting than any of her class-sisters. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, she launched on an epic voyage around Cape Horn that was immortalized in song and story, and also single-handedly silenced all opposition to construction of the Panama Canal. Upon joining the rest of the American fleet, she earned the nickname of "McKinley's Bulldog" for her eagerness to fight during the Battle of Santiago De Cuba. During that same time, Indiana suffered engine problems and couldn't keep up, and Massachusetts left a day early and a dollar short. Following the end of hostilities, Oregon served a long and illustrious career on the Pacific Station, being the first American ship to respond to the Boxer Rebellion and also participating in the Phillipine-American War. She was decommissioned in 1906, but re-activated to fight in WWI. After the Great War, she was converted to a museum in Portland, Oregon. With the outbreak of WWII, she was again called upon to serve, this time her scrap being used as a munitions barge in the battle of Guam. The old battle-wagon was not content to remain a hulk forever, though, so she broke her moorings in 1948 and ran freely for nearly 500 miles before being roped back in and finally towed away and scrapped. No other ship in the class can compare to that kind of record.

8. JKN

JKN Member

It would be a treaty vessel the illinois was not an Indiana class ship, it was its own class, if you ment it was an Indiana class
    I still somewhat like Uss Indiana the best because it was named after the state I live in and it was BB-1.

9. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Josh,
    You posed a question that was posted on the RC Naval Combat site and the Treaty
    site concerning your wanting to build the USS Indiana/Oregon. Even though this
    ship class was launched prior to the 1895 inclusive cut off date, in talking
    with the other 2 founders we have unanimously agreed to allow you to build this
    1 ship and participate in Treaty battles with a waiver. However there is one
    condition in the waiver, if you build this ship, it will be 1 second slower than
    our minimum warship speed of 38 second (i.e. 39 seconds/100'). All other rules
    in construction and battle will apply.

It will be very interesting to see what this little "monster" will do.
    Personally I really love this time period of ships. I wish you luck in building
    it and if you have any questions or want to attend one of the building sessions
    for guidance feel free to do so. Good luck to you.
    Eric

10. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I would have to say that at this point, it is up to you to decide which name you like the most.
    Sounds like the Oregon had more of a history. And you live in Indiana.
    Mikey

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I would love to see a build thread on it. It should work like a monitor, which that class basically is.

12. JKN

JKN Member

Now to wait till the plans come.

13. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Have you taken a look at some of the build threads in the warship builds area on this site?
    There are some very good threads that will help guide you through the building process.
    Mikey

14. JKN

JKN Member

I have looked at many treads and like Mike M's Bearn carrier one which is stickied at the top.