Which type of ship should I choose?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by ericcharleslomax, May 6, 2010.

1. ericcharleslomax

ericcharleslomax New Member

Im trying to decide between a battleship, a crusier or a destroyer. Which should i choose to build and how should i start. My uncle has some experience with ships and he said whatever i choose he'll help me with.

2. ericcharleslomax

I looked into Strike models HMS Invincable kit too. Would it be a good choice for a beginner

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

They are generally considered to be good starters.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hi Eric, which format will you be building for? Big Gun and Fast Gun have different recommended rookie ships, so knowing which one to advise you for will help.
    Anyway, to help you decide, here's a brief summary.
    Destroyers: unless you're joining the WWCC (unlikely, as we're on opposite coasts), a destroyer is too small for your first boat in any 1:144 scale format.

Small Cruisers: good idea for Big Gun, bad idea for Fast Gun. Big Gunners may arm torpedo cannons, which simplify plumbing and systems. Fast Gun small cruisers have to arm regular cannons, and are smaller than large cruisers, making them less suitable for rookies than larger vessels.

Large Cruisers: good idea for Fast Gun, bad idea for Big Gun. These ships are relatively roomy for Fast Gunners, and are usually faster and more agile than their prey, good for rookies. Big Gun large cruisers, however, are simply battleships writ small, so fitting all the guts in properly is difficult and maintenance is a *****.

WWI small battleship/battlecruiser: good idea for Fast Gun, bad idea for Big Gun. Again these are relatively roomy ships for Fast Gunners, and unlike cruisers, these boats can mount sidemounts for close-in slugging action. In Big Gun, these ships are again large battleships writ small, with extra turrets and fewer barrels for even more complexity and expense.

WWI large battleship: I don't know about these boats in Fast Gun, but they're not recommended for beginning Big-gunners. They're not as big as WWII battleships, and have more turrets and fewer barrels. Oh yeah, and they're slower than WWII battleships.

WWII "treaty" battleship: great for Big Gunners, again no idea for Fast Gunners. WWII treaty battleships are roomy, well-built, and have fewer turrets with more barrels. Very well-rounded ships in Big Gun.

WWII large battleship: Not a good rookie boat for either Big Gun or Fast Gun. WWII large battleships are in the 40K-50K ton range, and represent a lot of firepower and complexity in both formats. They also attract lots of attention on the pond, which requires an experienced skipper (or one who learns really fast).

WWII super battleship: Not a good rookie boat for either Big Gun or Fast Gun. WWII super-battleships like Yamato and H-39 are huge, complex, and eye-catching. Experienced skippers recommended for these.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Have you met any of the guys in NC. I know they are having a battle at the oakboro pond in NC in a week or two. The contact is Rob Stalnaker. PM me with an email and I will get it to him.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Are you in NC? Where at? There are a few of us scattered around the state that can easily lend a hand. We even have occasional build sessions too. Heh.

7. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Eric;
    If you would like to check out BIG GUNS. The MABG covers NC.

In fact we were at the Makers Faire in NC recently, and were offered some ponds to sail in! So it looks like we will be having BIG GUNS meets in NC.

Have a look at MABG.org

8. ericcharleslomax

Im thinking about going with fast gun, but I am not shure yet. I like some aspects of both

9. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Like I said, check them out.

This hobby is more than just the ships and the format. It is the people who make up the group that is most important part.

When you join a group, you will be making a comitment to the people of that group.

I consider the members in my group to be my very close and dear friends!

We do more than just sail together.