Who's Independent?

Discussion in 'Independents' started by JohnmCA72, Oct 11, 2007.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Yea, thank you Bob, i dont mind cold water too much. And in that situation i think your ship should have been the HMS Terrified! hahaha. But really, i cant wait to get into this hobby, but im not looking forward to her first sink, most likely at the hands of a certain Baltimore class Cruiser captained by one Powder monkey

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

It just goes back to learning from others mistakes unfortunately in our IRCWCC we don’t do much in the likes of convoy not saying I approve just the way it is my son has to borrow a ship from Steve do to this for NATS I spent all that time and money for two battles out of a hole week just something to think on all I’m saying I know my son was disappointed till the loan even so he feels robed [V]

3. BoomerBoy17

Well monk, finnishing the ship is for me, to know if this is right. If i enjoy it, i will really put time and money into it. this is sort of a test, until i can really attend something major. and besides i wouldnt even join until next year, in which time i could possibly build a warship.

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Speaking of targets (convoy ships) I still have to build HMS Albatross (formerly an Aussie seaplane carrier) in it's WWII fleet repair ship guise. It'll be my first convoy ship, and a very strange looking one. (Albatross is another hull mold Tugboat intends to buy).

Bob

5. BoomerBoy17

Yea his site has it on there, im not sure if he is selling hulls(or anything) right now though.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Powder just let him use the old mans boat, he will think very highly of you. [:)] Of course then you won't have anything to play with. [:(]

7. BoomerBoy17

Oh come on, parents are supposed to think of their kids first. And it is very possible that his son is a better captain then his dad, especially if he likes videogames, he might be highly skilled.

8. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

that would be par for the corse

9. BoomerBoy17

Yea? so im right then, arent i?

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I think the worst weather Bob and I fought with Bismarck and TERROR was at a city park beach where it just was a Torrential downpour. We were both drenched along with our equipment. The wind was picking up and the swells were high for both ships to be in near the shore.. Fun though but not something both us would not like to repeat.

11. BoomerBoy17

haha, nice story. i dont know how you could send your boat out into that weather. But i guess part of this hobby is puttin your blood and tears into the way of danger

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I'm known for being fearless when it comes to rough weather. I been sailing models in snowstorms, heavy torrential rain, high winds, subzero and hot extremes. I sailed Yamato from inside my car because it was raining that hard. The waves were over a foot high and I ran the model through the waves with the pump running most of the time as the model was completly submerged at times in the swells....you know your model is reliable when it can do that.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

After all up here in Canada we have such a short battling season. Now if we could come up with a design that will break ice then all year fun but retrieval after a sink would be an adventure[:p][:D][8D][xx(]

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Been there done that. I was out in frigid water using a too small wet suit that Bob loaned me. I had no diving weight belt so I tried to dive to 15 ft but I popped up everytime due to the buoyancy in the suit. I was there for about 45 minutes with a 10 ft pole trying to raise the USS HOUSTON this was on DEC 23RD. The model was swamped by the Moltke doing a drive by which covered the low quarterdeck and quickly sank the ship. I couldn't move the model. 3 days later, lake frozen I had a friend in a dive dry suit break the ice. He located the model 50 ft out 15 deep. He came in it beneath the ice. Broke through and there was the model. Frozen soon as the air hit it. The good thing was it still worked. BBs that spilled out from the barrels froze to the deck...

Ahhh the good ole days.

15. BoomerBoy17

Haha, nice story Curt, and while it is true that those are testaments to your building skills, i wouldnt have put them out in that weather.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I love testing the models to extremes.

17. BoomerBoy17

thats nice, but really, how you spend all that time on a ship, then let it crash it to waves like that. i think i would die, but hey whatever floats your boat, no pun intended.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It's the ultimate test. If my model can handle that and run reliable in that kind of condition and there's nothing like seeing your model handling rough water and surviving it. Videoing it is cool too when you play it in slow motion it is quite realistic looking and you can see how far the waves crash. You have to have confidence in your model and know what it can handle and what it can't. That's why when the water is a littel rough I already know my model(s) can handle it and I know how to sail it in rough water and fight it in rough water. I took Bismarck out on a lake with rough water and a friend filmed it for about an hr. I could see the waves crashing over B turret and hear the splat of the bow hitting a wave head on. The model was fine and the equipment inside was secured so no ballast shifted. The data I got from that helps me understand how the model will perform in various conditions. Lots of fun.

Curt

19. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Curt have you ever lost a ship that way?

20. BoomerBoy17

Most likey more then once, and in an extreme fashion. battered until it breaks in two or sucumbing to the swells.