Why are you using ABS?

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by JustinScott, Jul 22, 2023.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I know why I chose ABS, I wanted the ability to pressure seal my cannons.

However, for @bsgkid117, @Beaver, and others… why did you choose ABS?

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I primarily use it for pumps or SS and for reasons? It's durable, stable, and cheap? Need I say more?

3. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Same reasons as Beaver. ABS has just fit the requirements for most of my use cases. TPU also works well for certain things, but as I've dialed in my ABS settings, I tend to just use it rather than changing the setup.

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Because I buy 50kg at a time and I don't want to bother recalibrating my printers for different filaments all the time.

rcengr and diceman42 like this.
  5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Cheaper than PLA?

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Pla is neither stable nor as durable.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on stable?

8. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

PLA doesn’t like summer sun down south and tends to get soft and warp

diceman42 and Beaver like this.
  9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

oh yea. I’ve ran into that up here too.

10. JustinScott

Ok PLA will get soft. What about petg? It is still easier to print than ABS…

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I've tried PETG. Per gram it's more expensive by a not insignificant amount. You also need to finely tune temps and retractions or you'll get stringy prints. I believe it's also a bit more prone to moisture absorption than ABS.

ABS isnt hard to print. Get some 1" foam insulation board and build a box that you can put over your printer. Drill a hole in the top and drop the filament down and through.

12. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

I print with PETG I have both my printers dialed in for it and haven’t had a problem with it. Took some time to get them dialed in but I can print inside with my kids and not have to worry about off gases that ABS has. I have printed my NJs SS and turrets and barbs out of PETG and have had not problems with it. As for the moisture absorption they say you should bake it before use but I haven’t had a problem with the moisture absorption yet. As @bsgkid117 said it is more expensive but for my purpose I couldn’t use ABS since I print inside my house with my kids.

bsgkid117 and Xanthar like this.
  13. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

If temp is a concern, you can get these nifty tents off amazon as well. They work surprisingly well. I'd originally got one for my 5+ with the intention of replacing it later with a built enclosure, but it works so well that I've kept it in service. There are off-brand ones as well and different sizes. You can combine with a fume extractor as well if the off gassing is a concern. Mine lives in our enclosed back porch which is so non-airtight that I don't have any real fume issues. That may change when I replace the exterior 'walls' of the room with actual walls and windows. I'll likely need to add a dryer vent to the construction for connection to the enclosure and directly vent to the outside.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=creality...prefix=creality+tent,aps,114&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

14. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I don’t print a lot, but switched over to ASA when I got my Bambu. I went from petg on a prusa mk3s (took a while to dial in).
    ASA is easier for me to print than ABS (could be a brand issue) and does not smell.
    That being said, I am going to try the lightweight filament the airplane guys use. Idea is all the SS is sacrificed and I will just replace post event

15. JustinScott

Thx. My Taz is enclosed with an active heater, and being in TX heat isn’t a problem.

I’m printing in the garage because of the “harmful” fumes, but I would like it to come inside.

Good points on cost, though.

16. JustinScott

What do you think of your Bambu? Is it the x1? How consistent is it? How does it’s AI handle failure scenarios? Can it detect to nozzle clogs or filament grinding to a stop?

Do you have the AMS? Multi-material gives me some interesting ideas….

17. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The AMS is *extremely* wasteful...just a bit of a warning there.

18. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Not that I know anything about 3D printing..

My first Derf was printed in PETG on an Ender3. Then I enclosed it and switched to ABS.

PETG was ‘easier’ to print but the draw back is it can’t be chemically sealed and fused. So fiberglassing and resin coating was a must to ensure water proof joints.

With ABS I can chemically fuse the pieces making the joints extremely strong. Any gaps from the odd warp can be filled with an ABS slurry. The hull can also be sealed with brushing on acetone. My last several ABS boats have not had a fiberglass shell added, in fact when I tried, it just peeled off.

Beaver and bsgkid117 like this.
  19. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

It’s an X1 with AMS. As Will said, it’s wasteful but the container will hold 4 rolls and has desiccant packs.
    I am a “casual” printer so this was literally plug and play. If I was Will, I would not use it for his mass production.
    I don’t print fast, but I can walk away from it with mostly no worries. PM if you want more details
    It’s going to take a while to wear down the carbon rods, but I think for the price point it will be good for 2 years. Just a matter of time before a larger version comes out

diceman42, JustinScott and bsgkid117 like this.