Why I haven't made any progress on Renown

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by slow_and_ugly, Feb 1, 2009.

1. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    I thought I 'd show what I've been working on instead of working on the Renown or the Eagle.
    [​IMG]
    It's HIJMS Takao. I really like cruisers but they are crippled under IRCWCC rules. I got to thinking and one thing led to another and so here I am.
    This isn't the first wooden model I've started but I have never gotten one so far advanced. Still, it's not perfect and I've made plenty of errors, but so far there are no 'show stoppers'. The next one will be sooooo much better.
    I am using a 'box keel' -- That is -- there is no keel, The hull gets its strength from a box (actually a series of boxes resized as the hull narrows) made from the deck, 2 sides, and a bottom piece. The sections are cut into 3 pieces - a bottom and two side peices. Some sections are joined at the top to help stiffen the box.
    [​IMG]

The bottom piece is a flat section of plywood (grey in the diagram). This is screwed onto a work surface to keep it flat. The 'stiffening' sections are then glued on and then sides of the box. Tthe side pieces of the sections are then glued on and the deck attached. Balsa blocks are used to bring the solid edge up (1in below w.l.) . The box is then removed from work suface.
    Next the bottom pieces of the sections are attached, and then the bow and stern pieces (which are not part of the box because they get too narrow). Balsa is then used to fill in the bottom.
    Now everything is sanded. Which I am in the middle of right now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway still lots to do -- I need to drill holes in the box sides to let the BB's out -- I need to install the props -- etc.
    This isn't the perfect way to build a boat -- it's heavy and doesn't leave a lot of space -- but I don't have to work in the armour as it's part of the structure.
    I just thought people would like to see it.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Rob,
    That's quite a complex building method. Do you have any concerns abot the center of gravity being higher with balsa between the floor of the box and the bottom of the hull? I liked your previous fiberglass Takao though it didn't turn well with the singkle rudder. Who bought it? Takao can use a 50% larger rudder now and in Treaty it's a fast ship.
    Bob

3. slow_and_ugly

Hi Bob
    It sounds complex but it went together pretty easily. The center or gravity might be a problem, especially with Takao's massive superstructure, but I not concerned with the balsa on the bottom. If I had used a regular keel I would have made it about 1/2 inch thick to ensure that it had enough strength after the cuts were made for the sections. This way is not far from that. What I am concerended with is the weight of the side boxes -- It's a lot of wood.
    I liked my previous Takao too, but I made some big mistakes building it and when I needed to take out the stern cannon, the whole deck had to come out. A mistake to be avoided. The pieces went to Chris Osbourne as a gift and he subsequently patched it together then sold it to the US.
    You are right about the turning, but my biggest problem was the motor/prop combination I had on it --- it had no acceleration -- it would sit and sit and then crawl away -- all the time taking damage. The bigger rudder should help the turning and a nice geared prop set should help the acceleration.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Awesome, I can't wait to see a Takao out there. I think with her speed, Takao should be an effective ship. I agree with you about your turning too; I found the same thing with the Courageous. She started and stopped way too poorly. I'm going to be building IJN Chikuma (only a single rudder) so I've reached the same conclusions as you have about acceleration. High speed doesnt help you if you can't get to speed quick enough to avoid being pounded on. As long as I can get up to my higher speed in a timely manner, I should be able to get out of trouble.

I think that your Takao might surprise you with turning once you get her all set up. My USS Salem (Des Moines class) actually doesnt turn too terribly, and she's longer then Takao, with the same rudder area.

5. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    Shafts are in, hatches are nicely fitted, and this morning I glassed the hull.
    The resin isn't hardening very fast (it's a little cold) so I hope I don't have a disaster on my hands.

I have started the superstructure but no real progress -- I have peices but nothing glued together yet.

6. crzyhawk

Awesome. I love the fact that you guys up in Canada are willing to build ships you like instead of whichever ship has the best performance characteristics.

7. slow_and_ugly

The resin finally hardened -- it took 4hrs, but it set.
    Tomorrow I will trim the FG and coat the rest of the model.

8. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Eric Noble has a great Anatomy of the Ship Takao book. Many, many pics and tons of information.
    Thanks,
    Bob The German

9. slow_and_ugly

I can't use FG in the house anymore because my wife...er I mean...I ran out and there's a big shortage and......oh yeah space aliens came and took the rest...
    I might try varnish --- does anyone know if this will work? will it stand up to BB's well -- any other suggestions

10. slow_and_ugly

I am now in the middle of superstructure hell.......

11. crzyhawk

I am dreading doing the superstructure for the Chikuma.

12. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    I have just about finished to forward superstructure. I just need to attach the range finder on the top level.
    I don't think it is as good as the one I did a few years ago -- the styrene is much thicker and harder to make small pieces with.
    Still....with a bit of trimming, filling, and painting it should be okay.

Next is the trunked funnel - then the second funnel -- then all the platforms around the funnels -- then the foremast -- then the aft superstructure -- then the mainmast -- then the main mast -- then the catapults. See almost done.....

13. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    I have finished the stacks (except a little rework needed) and the mid-ship deckhouses. I am now working on the various platforms around the stacks.
    Next will be the aft superstructure - hopefully sometime next week -- it's not all that complicated.

This morning I ran the rudder push-rod tube through to the rudder and started waterproofing the hull.
    My goal is to have the superstructure done and the hull sheeted before the Shearwater show.
    Hopefully some of the internals will be completed too, but I really want to put it in the show.

14. slow_and_ugly

I just ordered a new Rock-the-boat regulator for the Takao
    Does anyone around here have a spare 3.5oz bottle?

15. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I'd like to know the same thing.

16. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I have a few, you can buy one off me if you want.

17. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

1) Do they come with on/off valves?
    2) Whats the selling price Rob?

18. slow_and_ugly

A couple of shots of the "completed" Takao. I couldn't find a local supply for CO2 bottles (and don't want to pay an outrageous custom brokerage fee) and there wasn't really a lot of internal space anyway. It's been finished as a non-combat model for my son - so I won't (for the moment) bother with the masts or turrets - or even paint.
    Still -- I think it could work as a combat model.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. crzyhawk

It looks cool. Someone just posted on one of the other threads that they are ordering a supply of 3.5 oz bottles. far smaller ships have been made into effective combat models, I can't imagine that this one wouldnt be.

20. slow_and_ugly

It's just that this is the first wooden hull I've made, so I overbuilt it and there isn't a lot of room inside. I am pretty sure it could work though.