Winter Battles!?

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by tgalx3, Feb 16, 2010.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Im itching for a fight. Anybody interested in a preseason battle? I need to break my ship in before the season. Work the bugs out.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You got a CO2 bottle & fill-station to fill from?

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I have two bottles that are full. My batteries are full. I'm ready to go.

4. NickMyers

Well, I'd be happy to let you punch some more holes in the Suffren's skin before she gets resheeted for the spring, but her little co2 bottle (3.5oz) is empty, and even if it were full I can only effectively get 2 sorties out of it before needing a refill. Now, if someone with a refill tank (Phil or his dad come to mind) were inclined to come out said tank with them, we'd be in business.

Think I need to grab atleast 1 new battery for her too, I am so unprepared right now :/

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

If you live in the Seattle area I have a place that fills in for next to nothing. My 10oz tank can be filled for $6.00. I can get the tank from you and fill it for you if you'd like. I have to get my second one filled anyway. Unless your free on the weekdays I wouldnt be free for two weeks.

6. NickMyers

Its a tempting solution, but what concerns me is the last 2 battles on the first fill, the bottle was leaking a little past the quarter turn valve, the problem didn't repeat for any other fills other than the first ones of the day, but I'm not sure what the total loss would be if it wasn't stuffed immediately into a ship.

Did you get your tanks locally? I should probably look into seeing if I can fit a 10oz bottle into the Suffren so I can run and gun for a much longer duration.

I have Fridays off generally so I could do a battle on one of them, but not this week for sure.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

You could try putting a spot of glue on where you think its leaking. I got my bottles from Strikemodels. Your more than welcome to borrow one of my 10oz bottles to see if it fits. If it does you can borrow it for our little skirmish. Fridays works for me too or the weekends, whichever is better.

8. NickMyers

I suspect the o-rings in the valve are the culprit, but I've never spent much time on the matter. Do you know the dimensions on the bottle? I can check when I get home this evening how much extra space is available.

9. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

6$/ 10oz tank is awfully expensive, when compared to the ability to rent a 20 pound tank at around (last time I did it) 8$/month and ~15$ to fill.... those prices are spokane prices from oxarc as of a few years ago.

-Greg

10. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

The bottle is 11" long and 2 1/4" Dia. I think your going to have a bigger problem with weight. Its such a heavy tank for a smaller ship like that. It could throw off your ballast.

11. NickMyers

I usually have to toss a few pond rocks in the bow to ballast it properly anyways, so it might work. Then again it might not and I might be a slug on the water, only 1 way to find out! I'll take some measurements this evening though and find out if it'll even fit.

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Its ok, I have to add about 15lbs to my ship to get it properly ballast. Where and when. I was thinking Cole Creek in Factoria. Maybe next Friday or the weekend.

13. NickMyers

Your bottle would fit with some room to spare it looks like, so if you don't mind loaning your 2nd for the day, we'll be set.

Next Friday should work for me. Got a timeframe in mind? Early weather reports suggest rain, hope you're ok with that.

The only place I've been to is Swan Creek down in Tacoma, which is a bit out of the way for both of us, so Coal Creek works for me. Is there an address I can googleMap?

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I dont mind lending you my bottle. I dont know how much air I will have for the day with one bottle. But that is part of the reason I wanted to battle to test all this stuff out. I dont mind the rain. There is going to be traffic friday. Do you know when that usually clears up? You can google Coal Creek Park but is it not very accurate at the end. If I remember correctly there is a huge turn out and a trail. Ill be able to guide you better when Im there.

15. NickMyers

I'll do my best to give you as few shots as possible, in order to help you conserve your air. :D

Traffic-wise, I'd say if we planned to meet around 10 - 11ish we'd be fine. WSDOT has an archive page you can play with checking out traffic levels on days past: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Seattle/Flowmaps/Archive/default.htm

Are the directions here accurate?: http://www.eskimo.com/~phill/wcc/wcdir.htm

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Oh thanks for that. Yes, the directions are accurate. If you can get more Captains to come that would be great. Ill let Phill know. So, Feb 26 at 10:00AM?

17. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Actually, why dont we meet on Saturday instead. There shouldnt be any traffic and I bet more people can come out. Does that work for you? Feb 27 at 10:00am?

18. phill

phill Active Member

Hmm. I've been trying to clear a hole in this saturday...

I'll take a look at next saturday and see if Dad can join us. I'll have Dad check the pond to see that it is clear. He lives within a mile or so of it and can swing by and check.

This will give me time to do some more work on the ships this weekend. Should have one of the BB's running. I may also bring a VU out. It was built by Rad years back and may get sold and shipped to CA. It has not run in a couple of years so I'm a bit fuzzy on it's status. I will have a much better idea of what is going on if I can get it on the water.

You know the reason we gave up battling in Jan, Feb and March is that it was too cold and wet and blowing. I would have been fine in a T-shirt when I wandered across the street at lunch today... Maybe if we get a battle scheduled the snow will return... :)

19. NickMyers

I should be able to do Saturday the 27th.

The weather this week is unseasonably nice, but I'm sure it'll revert to freezing rain as soon as we show up at the pond!

20. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That would be great to get more people out. I thought it would be just Nick and I but the more the better. It has been extremely nice for winter. Maybe you are right Phill, this weekend would be better because we know it is going to be nice out. Unlike next weekend, we dont know yet. It is suppose to start raining on tuesday again. I dont mean to sound like a giddy child but I am bringing my dry suit and if anybody sinks I dont mind going to get it. Especially if the water is so cold, which I assume it will be. I am going to try and get my Dad to come. I also have two people that are interested and they might come out. Does this weekend work or should we just stick with next weekend?