Winter Projects

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by bb26, Oct 13, 2008.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

As the battling season winds down, it would be interesting to know what people will be working on this winter. My winter project is rebuild the sodak again. This time install new guns and pneumatics into it. I am waiting to see if the Canadian dollar recovers against the US.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The only IRCWCC spec model I'm building this winter is the Russian CL Krasni Krim. It's being built specifically for the Campaign Lite event at next year's IRCWCC Rhode Island NATS. It'll have 4 x 1/2 unit spurt guns in the bow casemates.

Bob

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

That should be a nasty customer with that set up. I've thought in the past about doing something similar with the HrMS Java or the Omaha class USS Richmond. I'd dearly love to do an Omaha someday...if you or Ralph ever decide to make the hull, I'll pre-order it and pay for the full cost in advance of the mold being started.

4. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I will be doing some minor work to Tirpitz and then on to HMS Vanguard and will be working on Heidi DKM Graff Spee.

5. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

I will be working on the mighty HMS Dreadnaught for my initial experience and then proceeding to my heavy cruiser. Plans are to have both ships battle-ready for the first of May and to get in 2-3 weekends per month over the summer, even if it's just me and "the boy" shooting at each other.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Yes Bob, when you do a Omaha, Frank who made your KK, would like to have one also.

Franks KK sank this last weekend, with one above. We all had a great laugh. What happened was the aft super leading bulkhead was blown off, and to save weight, it was hollon in side. So he made a tight turn to port. the water flowed over the stern, and mid sections, and filled the ship, and he went right down. This was the third weekend he had battled it so not too bad.

I plan on finishing the ID plug, and repowering my Mogami, with the same drive system that I have installed into the PE.

7. Bob Pottle

Ralph told me he's not going to make any more 1/144 molds and is selling his mold collection. There's no hope for an Omaha hull from him.

I'm making a QE/Valiant mold this winter, and maybe HMS Argus (carrier). After those ships I'll only make hulls for ships under 462' LOA. That's the shortest hull I can ship by Canada Post, which will insure them, unlike trucking companies such as UPS. I think the Omaha was well over that length.

Candidates for small cruiser hulls are the Spanish Navarra and Mendez Nunez, the small Dutch CLs, and the British Abdiel Class fast minelaying cruisers.

Bob

8. crzyhawk

Well, so much for Omaha! That does leave the Connecticut class pre-dreads on the menu though!

9. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Mike, if you have electronic plans for the omaha, I have access to some equipment that can really quickly pop out foam plugs if the shape can be coded. assuming you don't mind laying up a bit o fiberglass yourself and then removing the foam

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hmm lets see....tap ..tap..where to start...tap .. tap... Oh yeah...(Slurps Coffee)..ahem..

Winter Projects: Stokomoto Shipyards

Yamato- Conversion to CWC-X
    Bismarck-Refit Conversion to CWC-X
    Malaya-Refit for Chuck
    Prince Of Wales-Construction CWC-X
    California-Construction CWC-X
    Graf Spee- Construction CWC-X
    Konig- Construction-MWC/IRCWCC (NATS)
    Von Der Tann-Construction-MWC/IRCWCC(NATS)
    PE-Awaiting arrival
    Nagato-Currently at Cdn Customs
    Tirptiz- Construction CWC-X
    ROMA- Install running lights

Adm Stokomoto

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Is that all Admiral stokeamoto? Gee that is a light schedule.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yeah I was cuttig back a little.

13. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Thanks again Curt. Just for everyones info..we can get bottles refilled down here in the valley for $0.28/once. A local shop here in New Minas is also going to allow me to put a sign up in their store advertising NABS/ARCC.

14. crzyhawk

Hmmm Greg, that gives me an interesting idea. With plans, do you think your machine would be able to churn out the area of an Independence class carrier from the hangar deck to the flight deck? It should be fairly simple, but I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the right shapes and curves...

15. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Great to hear Chuck.

16. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

it may be possible, mike. Shoot me an email with the details.

-Greg

17. crzyhawk

Will do, need to get my paws on some electronic plans first. I have a set of paper plans in route, but I don't know if I can have them scanned in and if that alone would be sufficient for what you'd need.

18. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Well, Pam and I need to finish ISE, hopefully to get some sea trial in before the ice comes, Scharnhorst needs a new wiring harness, I don't like the look of the one that is there now. Oh yeah, my other winter project is to get a fire under Steve Hill's arse and get him to finish Vangourd ;). Bob, I may need you help on that one.
    J

19. Bob Pottle

Let me know what needs to be done on Vanguard Jay.

I'm still rebuilding Steve's HMCS Uganda (ex-Ontario) and that's taking far longer than originally expected. Right now I'm correcting the length of the aft superstructure by shortening and reglassing it. That'll allow the aft turret to be installed in the correct location, then the rebuilt BB cannons can be installed and the test float done to position the two batteries.

That'll finish the internal rebuild. Much external work is needed as the model is missing a few superstructure sections required for it to be 'legal' (sections over 1 cubic inch volume) such as the upper two levels of the bridge, all the secondary guns and gun directors.

Some of that will have be left to Steve because I have to get going on Axis carrier Ibuki, Axis gunboat Sri Ayuthia and Russian Krasni Krim.

Bob

20. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

He has pretty much got propulsion good to go, except speed. All he needs is a kick in the @%$ and he works on it. I know he put in the other gear box on the weekend, so he should be able to come out and at least sail around. It is the other stuff that we need to crack the whip, (although in Steve's defence he has been VERY busy with work)
    J