Winter Projects

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by bb26, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Jay,
    What's Steve using for gear boxes? He bought a pair of Master Air Screw 3:1 units (the same type I used in Hood and Warspite) but he decided to give them to me for working on the Uganda.

Bob

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

He has a couple of the gearboxes from Battlers, they are the older, open style as opposed to the new ones that pop-up first. I think he likes the replaceable pinion gear option, it makes it easy to adjust the speed. (He is still going to use those 5 bladed props, you should see him go, you could ski behind the Vanguard!!) The standard reduction is 2.5:1, but by changing the pinions out the speed can be changed (about 1 second per tooth I think).
    J

3. Bob Pottle

Steve may be using Johnson 500 motors from Princess Auto. They run pretty fast and have a high current draw. Mabuchi 550s with 3:1 reduction should propel the model at close to 24 sec/100' when at scale full load displacement. It's probably quite a bit underweight now.

I don't know if he plans to have Vanguard convertible back and forth between Treaty and IRCWCC rules. It would have to slow down by 6 sec for Treaty to 30 sec/100'. A prop change to 3-blade 35mm and a pair of drag discs would probably slow it enough.

4. Bob Pottle

Hood was pretty close to what Vanguard should weigh when complete. Its speed was 24 sec/100' with Mabuchi 550s, Master Airscrew 2.5/1.0 reduction gears, 40mm 4-blade working props, and 45mm 4-blade drag props.

Bob

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I am hoping to get him out to some water with it (before the ice comes) so we can check it out. I will post when and where if it happens.
    J

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Conway's gives Vanguard 31 knots for trial speed.
    If that is the case she would be 29 seconds/100ft.
    I will look it up when I get home.
    Mikey

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Conway's does give Vanguard 31 knots, so 29 seconds if he intends to be able to fight in both formats.
    Mikey

8. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

As it looks now I will be using Graf Spee as my main model as Tirp is just too heavy with my failing knee.