wiring firing boards for 3 canons

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by SuZWolf, Jan 3, 2016.

1. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

hi guys,

i'm building a Luetzow and have three stern guns that i either want to fire together or rather 2 and 1. From BC i bought the dual and single firing board assigned them to the stick on the right side of the remote.the canons are firing that way: stick left canon 1, stick push canon 3, stick right canon 2...I thought with the dual board that two canons fire at once...
    is there a possibility to have at least two canons (or even all three) firing at the same time? can I use one single firing board and get two or even three kips activated or do i have to connect the 2 cables that go into the receiver with a Y-cable??
    I'm using the Turnigy 9x remote.

Browsing through the forumI found some posts regarding the button board with 4 or even more buttons some people use that replaces one proportional stick and having one or two canons assigned to one button... is there a wiring available or some pictures to play around with the buttons?

I'm pretty sure there is also a possibility to use a mixing function to activate two channels with one movement of the stick...

thanks in advance for your help

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You can drive all 3 solenoids off the single board, just make yourself a little bus to join all the solenoid wires to the load line of the switch.

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

To translate what Nick said: If you want to fire 2 (or 3) guns off the same channel (example: pull back on right stick=3 stern guns fire) just tie the solenoids in parallel. This is one channel (for dual channel card, other would be opposite throw on right stick). A single channel card has a selector switch on it that chooses which throw triggers guns. For your 2/1 choice, you could use just the dual card. Twin guns (guessing stern) are pull back on right stick - two solenoids wired together fire. Push forward on right stick triggers other channel of card for single solenoid (guessing bow gun). Hope this helps.

A note: Tactically, you're probably better off using all three guns together in the stern, as putting the taller bow section of your ship toward the enemy means it's easier for them to hit you. Once you have bow damage, it's much more difficult for you to run without sinking yourself.

Jeff

4. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

thank you Jeff and Nick. that helps a lot.
    Does somebody have experience with mixing channels of the Turnigy?

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have some experience with it. But you should really fire all three together :) Triples is much more damage than twins, which are much more damage than a single shot.

6. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

would be great to have :
    stick left: canon one
    stick forward: canon two
    stick right: canon three
    for testing the guns individually ...

and:
    stick backward: all three canons at once..
    for the most possible damage ;-)

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Easy to do. Would need two of the dual firing boards setup on the two channels. Switch-1 on the left/right channel, switch-2 on the up/down channel. Wire cannon one on switch-1A. cannon two on switch-2A, , cannon three on switch-1B, all three cannons on switch-2B.

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

You need a little more than that, setup like that all three would fire no matter which switch was activated. You need to add some diodes to the circuit to make it work like you want.

This should be what you're looking for.
    IMG_20160104_175746570.jpg

A, B, and C will all activate the solenoid they are hooked to, D will activate all three at the same time.

Im not sure how useful this setup is but I don't see it making you less effective so might as well try it and see if you like it.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Whatever we're paying you, it's not enough. My brain hurts looking at that :)

10. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Haha don't you worry, I get plenty of stress, headaches, and frustration from this hobby.

11. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

But the coolest workshop. Not to mention a potential regional battle pond literally in his back yard.

SnipeHunter likes this.
  12. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

WOW... thank you guys. I understand that print...
    so i have to get another dual board....
    any suggestions for the three diodes that block the impulse from "D" ?

13. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Yep, need diodes on the ganged circuit.
    Any 1N400x series should be sufficient.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N400x_general-purpose_diodes

SnipeHunter likes this.
  14. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

An alternative to diodes would be to put a small switch in each solenoid's line. Open the switch to disable that gun for testing. Thus, to test one of three guns, open two of the switches. Much simpler wiring, and only 1 card needed

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Or just use connectors such that you can readily disconnect solenoids

16. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

My solenoids are wired to connectors. I have my test switches in a Radio Shack project box. I do not have to worry about them getting wet. Just plug in the test switches, tweak the guns then plug the solenoids back in. No extra fancy wiring inside the boat.
    Test switch1.jpg

17. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

also a brilliant idea....

thank you. i have a lot of input now...

. input.jpg .