Wiring help? 6 Volt 4.5 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by NASAAN101, Jan 8, 2011.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I got two 6volt 4.5Ah batteries so can I used use a Dean's Y-harness? The Reason I'm asking is Larry Ran both drive motors and her radio system in the ship with the same 6v battery. and the other question i have is how do you wire the batteries! my step-dad know how but he cant see very well!!! I'm only using one battery at a time, that battery were have to jobs to do drive the boat and act as a weight! its weights 3.5lbs, which would bring her up to 5.5lbs, almost 6lbs! Dose that sound right for an LST?? The Reason, I'm say that is: Larry Ran both drive motors and her radio system in the ship with the same 6v battery. and I told him i was getting these, they have a little more Ah to them at 4.5 the one he was using was the 6v 1.5amp battery.. so its just the Ah that diffident! but anyway, i also got the Deans connector cause she she had the Large Tamiya Connectors. here is the site I got the Batteries from and there's a photo to! http://www.batterymart.com/p-two---6v-4_5ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html
    Nikki

2. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

So, Larry ran the entire ship from one 6 volt 1.5 Ah battery?

You wish to use a 6 volt 4.5Ah battery.

You will need to make sure that your ship weighs the same as it did with the small battery.

To do this, you may need to remove some ballast weight, if there is any. The new battery shouldn't weigh more than the old battery and ballast.

If you can remove ballast weight, you will still need to fit your new battery in the right place to make your LST float level.

This is best done by removing all the ballast, then floating the boat in a tub, and moving the battery around till the ship sits flat and level. Then add what ballast may be needed to get your ship to it's waterline.

As for the Deans plugs, the top of the " T " is usually the positive (red), and the leg of the " T " negative (black). If you look closely you might be able to see a tiny + symbol on the plug.

3. NASAAN101

Darren
    That's what he told me in the e-mail!! I don't thing he ever weighted her!! Without the batteries she 2.5. and with the batteries , she'll being about 4.5lbs!! but anyway, I didn't see a symbol on the deans plugs, but then again i wasn't looking, I will put a black mark on the female plug!! the Batteries are two lbs!!
    Nikki

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Make sure you put the female plug on the battery, the male one has exposed contacts which can short out.

As for the weight, my big-gun club has no specific weight limits, we use the scale waterline.

5. NASAAN101

Darren,
    I don't thing convoy ships have a weight limit!! but my plan was to put the male plugs on the batteries and have the female plug in the boat!!
    Nikki

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nikki, ALWAYS put the female plug on the battery.

7. moose421

moose421 Member

I agree with Tug. Put the female on the battery to prevent the possiablity of shorting out a battery.

Kim

8. NASAAN101

Guys,
    that's cool! now, remember the batteries are 2lbs each!! so they would have two jobs, to do drive the boat and act as a weight! its weights 2lbs, which would bring her up to 5lbs! Dose that sound right for an LST??
    Nikki

9. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Nikki - can you tell us what version of LST you have? We only have one LST listed in the Treaty ship list and it has a length of about 27 inches long x 4 inches wide. Is this close? If those dimensions are correct, the max displacement is 2 3/4 pounds. Mark.

10. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

IRC and MWC do not have a minimum weight for convoy ships. Not sure about Treaty. Generally, it is an advantage to run a convoy ship as light as possible to improve it's turning and to give more hull volume to fill up, thus making the ship take longer to sink.

It is a good idea to have enough battery to make as many runs as possible during the battle's time limit. I don't know what the record is, but I recall someone making something like 7 runs before in one battle.

11. NASAAN101

Mark,
    That's dead on with the size! I weight her on a human scale and she weights weights 3.5lbs, which would bring her up to 5.5lbs with the battery in! the batteries i got are two lbs!! but here is the site you can see the photos on! http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/NASAAN101/LST/ I have all six photos on there! i might be wrong but i thing she's a strike models!!
    Nikki

12. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

See if you can find a postal scale to weigh the ship. 3.5 pounds empty seems pretty heavy for a ship that size.
    I think the 6V 4.5Ah battery is going to be too big for the ship. That's the same size battery I run in my 33 knot cruiser. Even with it constantly powering the pump as well as the radio, motors, and solenoids, I can get almost 3 sorties out of it before recharging. Your ship will be only 20 knots which will require even less current. Mark.

13. NASAAN101

Mark,
    the guy I got her frome put the radio reciever in a balloon and sealed the end with tool dip or RTV. and one of the other servos needs the Tool dip to, but other that those, were I'm hoping to get fixed if Mikey has a build day again!! I like the idea of getting a postal scale to weight her, this is going a little off-topic, but i may need one when i get my three snakes! did you see the photos of her?? I did find a postal Scale i like: http://www.target.com/Primo-Digital-Scale-Warm-Red/dp/B0007GAX04/ref=sc_qi_detaillink! let me know what you thing ok!!
    Nikki

14. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That scale looks good, it should work for your modeling needs. Mark

15. NASAAN101

Mark,
    I like the idea of getting a postal scale to weight her, this is going a little off-topic, but i may need one when i get my three snakes! did you see the photos of her?? like i said, I thing she's a Strike Model hull, but i could be wrong on that!!
    Nikki

16. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I did check out the pictures. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures where the waterline is, so I'm unable to give any advice on overall weight. The hull probabally is from Strike models, but I didn't find any detailed information on it on their website.

17. NASAAN101

Mark,
    I re-weighted her and she's 2.5lbs, Empty and 3.5lbs with the battery in her!! so once i re-sheet her, i can float test her again, with the battery in her, and do the waterline on her!!!
    Nikki

18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That weight looks much better. Getting everything in and putting it in the tub to check the water line is a good next step. Post pictures when you are done. Mark

19. NASAAN101

Mark,
    I cant float test her again, til I re-sheet her! She has a crack in her Balsa wood, and I'm just worried about Float test her with the crack!!
    Nikki

20. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

run a line of CA glue along the crack and it'll hold plenty good for float-testing...