Wiring help? 6 Volt 4.5 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by NASAAN101, Jan 8, 2011.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

You could also stick a piece of tape over the crack just for the float test.
    Mikey

2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    There's two cracks, and One is right on the rib! would normal type work or would that mess up the wood trying to take it off??
    Nikki

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you're going to resheet anyway, does it matter?

4. NASAAN101

Guys,
    Here are the photos of My LST: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/NASAAN101/LST/. let me know what you thing ok!
    Nikki

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

If you have 1" of freeboard with everything in it, then it should be fine.

6. NASAAN101

Mark,
    like i said, i did the waterline when she was still wet so i could see were it was! i just hope i remember when we re-sheet her! With the battery that in her, there's not enought room to put a little radio box for the receiver into!! the radio box i'm looking at making is 1-1/2inches high, 1/2- wide and 1/2 long! what do you guys thing?
    Nikki

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

If you just need the water tight box for the receiver, you may just want to put the receiver in a balloon or water proof the whole receiver. I haven't water proofed a lot of receivers, so I'll let the more experienced builders here make more specific suggestions.

8. NASAAN101

mark,
    I was thing about doing that! but are there are a number of Balloons out there i can use, right??
    Niki

9. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Nikki, I use a latex glove, with U-tac putty around the leads, tied off with a cable tie.
    Has never failed me.

10. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Condoms work well too. You can also encase the electronics in epoxy which while permanent is pretty darn good at stopping water, or just skotch kote them which is removable (with a little effort). I've also seen electronics encased in wax since its easier to remove than epoxy. Lots of good ways of doing it.

11. NASAAN101

Guys,
    As it turns out, My little LST had a MAG Throttle in her, it was two 10 Amp micro Switchs! If you look at the photos of her, you can see what I'm talking about!!! because the solder points, were so badly shot, My friend Roland Gerrick and I, agreed that a Polk's 100 Amp Speed Controller with Reverse, would also do the Same thing!!! One of my other treaty Friends has them and i'm hoping he's going to hold one for me! I'm hoping to get her speed tested at Fall Regionals this year, but I don't know! but i dont know if its a better idea to build a New MAG Throttle with the two 10 Amp micro Switchs! here is the photo: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/NASAAN101/LST/ and http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/NASAAN101/LST/LST5.jpg let me know what you guys thing ok!
    Nikki

12. Tugboat

A 100A ESC for an LST would be SO overkill. Not that it wouldn't work, but if money is an issue, I'd think about a much smaller ESC. A MAG throttle with 10A microswitches would work fine, at a much lower price.

13. NASAAN101

Guys,
    Its Built for a 6 to 12volt Batteries here is the Page on it: http://store.polkshobby.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=takestock/itemdet.html?itemnum=PLK00100&conum=002! Let me know what you thing!
    Nikki

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The Polks 100Amp ESCs are dirt cheap (10$), almost as cheap as buildign a MAG throttle.

15. NASAAN101

Hey Nicky,
    What are you saying, Do the MAG Throttle?????
    NIkki

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

...Where do you see a 'y' at the end of my name?

I was commenting on the earlier comment by Tugboat re: the cost of the Polks ESC vs a MAG throttle. I would use the ESC myself.

17. NASAAN101

Nick,
    Sorry! that's how a lot of my friends spill it!!! The Problem with My MAG was i wasn't getting the Reverse On it!!!
    Nikki

18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Nick and Nikki. I couldn't help but lol.

19. Tugboat

$10 for a 100A ESC? That does make it pretty affordable. When did they get that cheap? I'd have put one in the Baden...

EDIT: Did some searching, one place to buy them from (Polk's Hobby, oddly enough) is here: http://store.polkshobby.com/scripts...;conum=002
    Ordered 2 for testing. Not that I don't trust you Nick(y) (hehe), just had ESCs of various makes burn me before. For 10 bucks with 2 or 3 times the current rating that my slow boats draw, I'll try 2. Crossing my fingers :)

20. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

My old Chinese boss used to tell me 'there is no free lunch' whenever we ran across a deal that seemed to good to be true. For me its all about reliability and a 100amp ESC for $10 is too good to be true. A ship that is dead in the water is a ship that will be retrieved from the bottom. I say use mag throttles or pay the money for an Mtroniks or Banebots.

My .02

Big Johan