Wiring help? 6 Volt 4.5 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by NASAAN101, Jan 8, 2011.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Mikey,
    I was looking at the Receiver for my LST, and it's tiny! i know they were little. but i didn't know they were thay tiny!!! How much fo they normally weight in grams????
    Nikki

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Nikki, it doesn't matter how much the receiver weighs. The LST or AD can handle it.

3. NASAAN101

Hey Guys,
    Is it safe to the SLA Bricks all the way down or til there dead, or are they like RC cars batteries, with a memory? My Artemis and the carriers are both going to run off a 6volt system! artemis will run on a 6volt 24Ah with is two 6volt 12 ah Batteries and the carrier will run on a single 6volt, 4.5 ah. what do you guys thing?
    Nikki

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It is not good to run the SLA batteries all the way down. They don't get a memory like Ni-Cad batteries did, but you have to treat them right.

5. NASAAN101

ok, I'm going to be running two in the artemis!!! but Together, i'm getting a 6volt 24ah..
    Nikki

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I have used them (the Polk's) successfully, but prefer MTroniks. You will want to know that they are time-limited on reverse (I believe 15sec), but you can flip to neutral or fwds and rearm for another 15 sec. If small/fast gun, and using reverse rather that forwards a lot, might want to wire them where reverse is forwards and vice versa.
    You will have to take them apart and scotchkote them, as they are not wateproof. A bit of a PIA, as they are 2 boards, and it is easy to get scotchkote into the connector when coating it, if you pull it apart, and screw up the connection. If you don't pull it apart, the space between the boards is awfully tight to get the scotchkoat in well.

7. NASAAN101

So everyone know, I spoke them and they ARE NOT selling them anymore :( I was looking at those for the LST!!!
    Nikki

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

They will still need scotchkoting, but the Vex Robotics motor controller will handle motors up to 3A continuous. The motor I use in a similar sized ship draws less than 1A at stall (the Tamaya Solar Motor based on the Mabuchi 500 TB). www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p
    Alternatively, Pololu has this really tiny one with a bit more oomph (and 1.6A stall current): www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1000 These have nice mounting brackets that also cover the gears nicely here:www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1089

Very simple to use - it has no separate battery connection and just gets its power from the receiver bus. In other words,
    • You plug your battery into your receiver.
    • You plug your rudder servo into the receiver.
    • You plug the Vex into the receiver like a servo and plug the motor on the other end.
    www.vexrobotics.com/276-2193.html

Cheers,

9. NASAAN101

hey guys,
    how low can you let 6 Volt 4.5AH SLA batteries run down two? I have 4, two of which i plan to run in the carrier??I also have two 6-volt 12 ah Brinks!!
    Nikki

10. Tugboat

Dont' let them get below 6.0V. Full charge is around 6.9V. Never ever below 5.4V. Keeping them above 6.0V will let them last a good long time.

11. NASAAN101

Hey Tuggy,
    The lowest they gown down has been 5.9.. Is that ok? I was always thing it was safe to let the go all the way down?
    Nikki

12. Tugboat

No, it's very bad for lead-acid batteries to let them sit run-down. Get them fully charged, and see if they'll hold their voltage at about 6.6V. That's a good number. If they won't hold that charge for a week, then the batteries are getting old and need replaced.

13. NASAAN101

guys,
    as of 3-8-15, which is tody: Batterymart battery 1: 6.1, battery 2: 6.1, battery 3 6.3, battery 4 6.3, the last three i get from Walmart!!! Like i said, I also have two 6volt 12ah SLA's two, but those are with My artemis!! so that were I"m debating. use those the the four smaller SLA's
    Nikki

14. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

At the speed you are completing your ships, I wouldn't worry about buying newer or more batteries until your ships actually are complete. Finish your ships first, then you can worry about debating batteries.

NASAAN101, Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  15. Tugboat

If you charge them and discharge them a few times, they can get closer to being happy. Letting them sit is very bad for lead-acid batteries.

So I'd hook up a motor (not a pump, we want a slow discharge) to the battery, and run it for a while, watching the battery voltage. run the motor until the battery voltage gets to 6.0V. If it reads 6.0V while running, stop the motor and check. Once it's at 6.0V, unhook the motor and hook up the charger and slow charge (do not quick charge) the battery for several hours. Repeat this process once per day for a week and see how high the battery will charge at the end of the week. Actually, you should write it down every time you charge it during the week so you can keep track of it. Do this for each battery; it might take more than a week to get through all 4 of them depending on how much free time you have. The important thing here is to NOT RUSH IT :)

And to echo what Chase said... finish the boat before even thinking about new batteries :)

16. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I have everything for the carrier, it's just the matter of not knowing how to solder :( and thats bad.
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  17. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

youtube "HOW TO SOLDER" then PRACTICE FIRST before working on your boat

NASAAN101 and Tugboat like this.
  18. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

^^ For sure, soldering (at least in the capacity that we typically do it) is quite easy to learn, and a cheap soldering iron can be had for under $15, so don't let it hold you up!!

Most useful things I picked up while learning to solder is to make sure your parts are held stable and to heat the part, not the solder, and to make sure the iron is properly tinned. Like willcover said, there is a wealth of info available on you tube on this. Don't be afraid of it, if you can build a boat you have it in you to learn to solder. It's not even a little bit hard to solder what we need to solder, and you can build the skill necessary to do it in an evening practicing on some scrap wire.

Tugboat likes this.
  19. NASAAN101

that's guys, My mom and What she calles helping hands!!! but like i said, my hands shake way to much to hold it stady!
    Nikki