wiring runs built into hull?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Anvil_x, Jun 24, 2018.

1. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

12 is my minimum size to connect to esc or pump. But in Nassau I run a short buss to a 3 plug with number 10. Wire is cheep when in short lengths , why undersize it?

NickMyers likes this.
  2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Go with the best, Ancor marine grade. $18 will get you two rolls of 25' 16 gauge (get black and red). I personally never liked silicone noodle wire. The sheathing on that stuff always seems loose and IMO the wire will wick and hold water like a sponge. Also, glue won't stick to silicone very well. 2mm gold bullet connectors work great with 16 gauge. For ultimate corrosion resistance, use gold connectors, heat shrink exposed wire at the ends, and coat heat shrink ends with E6000.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Grade-Primary-Battery/dp/B000NV0FGU?th=1&psc=1

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Sethie likes this.
  3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Where there is a will, I will find a way to melt it...

jadfer likes this.
  4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

It is true that the 12G is not required for ESC and other things. I have always used 12G noodle wire (the gauge recommended by most folks when I started) as a standard for batteries and main power, largely because at that time I bought it.. very little options for silicone in smaller gauges were available. Now you can get any size you want and I have been converting solenoids and relays to silicone. One other reason I use 12G was minimum purchase amounts for different wires. I would rather use 12G in more places than to have 6 different bags of wire all half-full.. sitting on the shelf .. costing money.

One other thought.. for me its a lot like electronics... always double or triple what you think you will need. If I have 12G wire on motors and other items.. it can handle more current before the wire burns. I may lose an ESC.. but I would in any case (if there is an overload) at least I would not have to re-wire as much.

In the end larger wire is not a problem... it may cost a little bit more, but getting less than what you need is an issue.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Oh Lou!! Don't ever change!!! FYI you are my favorite camera man!!!!

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Lots of sage advice on wire gauge's but here's the chart. This is for 12v. If your running 6v, then multiply the amp draw of your circuit by two and match it up to the amps on this chart for your wire size. If your running 24v, divide the amp draw by two and compare to the chart. If you have a 6v 20A motor, times the 20 by 2 and match the 40 to the 40 on this chart which tells you you need 14ga if your run is under 2' (run is total length of the positive and negative wires between the motor and battery). If you have a 24v 20A motor, dived by 2 and get 10 and you see that 16ga wire is more than adequate for up to a 6' run (gotta love 24v ;)).

[​IMG]

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

You could use 22 ga, but I like the 18 just because it feels sturdier.

What kind of wire is spec'ed on your chart? Says car and audio, most likely not as high quality as noodle wire, less strands.

Current Capacity (Ampacity) of Silicone Wire
    Silicone insulated wire has a higher temperature rating (usually like 200 degrees C), and consequently it can handle relatively higher currents than a comparable wire with normal (pvc plastic) insulation – of course this doesn’t say anything about what the wire is touching and if it can handle the higher temperature, but anyway.

You came here to answer the question “I have some silicone wire, how much current can it handle”, here’s a rough rule of thumb

Take the cross sectional area in mm2, multiply it by 25 and that’s a reasonable current capacity in Amps for SILICONE wire.

Example: 20 ga wire

Cross sectional area: 0.5mm2

Multiply by 25: 12.5

So that’s about 12.5 Amps, let’s call it 12.

Our 14 ga silicone wire

14 ga has a area of 2.08 mm X 25 = 52 amps.

Looks like on your chart, if you use silicone wire, you can move it down one space, just due to the higher temp rating of the silicone coating.

Advantages of Silicone Insulated Wires, last advantage is why Lou should use this type of wire, lol

Following are some of the advantages of using silicone insulated wires for your application.

• Excellent Performance in Adverse Environments: These wires provide optimum performance in adverse environments. They can withstand snow, humidity, ozone, rains, and harsh UV rays for years without disintegrating.
    • Wide Operating Temperature Ranges: The wires can withstand a wide temperature range from –50 to +200 °C. Also, advanced grades can withstand a temperature range from –90 to +300 °C.
    • Ideal for Daily Use: These wires can easily withstand daily wear and tear as well as aging.
    • Excellent Chemical Resistance: Silicone wires can resist various harsh chemical substances used in industries easily.
    • Exhibit Excellent Electrical Insulating Properties: These wires exhibit excellent electrical insulating properties in various application conditions.
    • High Flexibility: Silicone wires can withstand high flexing cycles in any industrial application than many other plastic wires.
    • Flame Retardant: These wires exhibit high flame resistance, which makes them an ideal choice for various industrial applications.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I prefer red noodle wire, makes the smoke a pretty shade of pink
    [​IMG]

Beaver likes this.
  9. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I just remember the black smoke, and flame's myself, no red smoke, the flames did look a little red.