Wood Hull Question - Notch Technique?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by GeekSpeed, Apr 10, 2023.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hey guys.

I am working on a couple of scratch builds and wanted to ask some of the more experienced wood builders a question. For my ribs and subdeck, I cut 1/4" notches so that the pieces can interlock. The notches are not hard to do, but they are super tedious. Does anyone have a good way to cut them out? I was thinking maybe the 1/4" scroll saw sander that Olsen makes might work? This is the most annoying part of the build, so any suggestions would be great. :-D

Thanks!

2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, unless you have a CNC or other plywood cutter, yes, they are tedious. It's par for the course with scratchbuilding.

GeekSpeed likes this.
  3. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Or don't notch, I have never notched and I have 30+ year old boats and never has one fell apart.

GeekSpeed likes this.
  4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I find the process of cutting notches (or just about any woodworking aspect of building) to be quite relaxing. That's one of the appeals of wood over fiberglass/3dp/laser/etc.

GeekSpeed and WillCover like this.
  5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Cutting out all the little notches and such on my wooden bart definitely got tedious but in a way was kinda therapeutic. I've never just butt-glued a hull together without notches, but the strength of the wooden Bart hull with all the interlocking notches and such was undeniable.

GeekSpeed likes this.
  6. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I'd try drilling them out and then squaring them up with a jig saw and a file or template routing them.

GeekSpeed likes this.
  7. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have done several hulls this way, but I never really had an efficient method for doing the notches and just wondered if there was some magic to making it easier.

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The magic is having someplace like Sculpteo or sendcutsend etc cut it out for you on a laser :woot:

diceman42 likes this.