Wooden Cargo Ships of WW1

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by SteveT44, Mar 8, 2011.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Having kayaked the ghost fleet of the Potomac, I've always been interested in the wooden freighters built during WW1 to quickly and cheaply expand the U.S. merchant fleet. Thought one of these little freighters might make a good convoy ship for somebody.
    Complete plans for the type 1001 and info and links on the other designs can be found here http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/Ferri...Ships.html
    [​IMG]

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

They'd be neat little convoy ships, at only about 2ft long they'd be hard to get a good shot at and probably a lot of fun to drive in a battle.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Someone posted a link to the plans a while back. More than 3 months but less than a year :)

I'd post the link, but I just saved all the images to the hard drive and didn't 'favorite' the site... but the link is in the plans section (I think) on this site.

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I took a look and they would seem to be very easy ships to build. does any one have an idea what size the plans here are scaled to?
    Buddy

5. tgdavies

tgdavies Active Member

I know there have been entire threads about curved decks, but what approach would you take to deck curvature if you were building one of these?

6. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Small ships seem nice until you try to ballast them.
    They can be a real nightmare.
    In our club there is a small oiler. That ship has been put on the shelf never to sail again because of trim problems. A simple paperclip can throw the trim out of wack!

Now I captain an armed Liberty ship, (Just over 36 inches long)

Space is VERY tight inside of that hull. And yes, I have had a lot of fun with trim issues.

I can not out run any of the ships tring to sink me, but so far I have been able to out turn them, showing only my non Penetrable stern.

I am looking forward to having a battleship to sail.

7. NickMyers

I would just straighten the deck out.

8. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

I have a tiny little transport that's awesome. I love it. It's probally the most fun to just drive around the pond in a non combat day. Trim isn't that bad... it's probally close to the same size.

9. bugler

bugler Member

I just did a rough calculation.... 281 feet in 1/44 is 2 feet long?

This could be a great building project

10. Jbird

Jbird Member

Do unarmed cargo ships have to meet the same standard as warships? For example, do they have to have the right number of props for the class of ship? Or since they are moving targets is there some leeway in detail?

11. NickMyers

Depends on the club I believe.

Locally we care only so far as 'seems about right for a cargo/oiler/whatever for the time period.'

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A 3d printer project for some future date. I know the trouble you have finding projects to start on. :D

Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It's a pretty simple hull to build, really. 3 prints and it'd be done. 3 more for the caprail. A few more for the deck and SS (printed together) and you'd be in business.