Woops, my terminals fell off!

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Julian Barbera, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

What should I do?!

1. Fix it!

16.7%
  2. Cut your losses and buy new motors... ):

66.7%
  3. Do some weird third option.

16.7%
  1. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Hey all, I hope you're doing well. I recently came into possession of a mamiya transport (affectionately known as the Mooyima)with some nice maxon motors. Sadly, due to the wear and tear on the motor terminals/tabs they got snapped off, both on one motor and one on the other. Is there any way I can get them back on? The motors are glued down so it would be pretty hard to get them out non destructively. Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? Thanks!

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Step 1 - go back in time and convince the builder to make the motors removable

Step 2 - remove motors

Step 3 - make new mounting that allows motors to be removed. Plenty of minimal-effort options out there, I personally either print a mount with holes in it for zip ties or make a little wooden cradle to zip tie around

Step 4 - solder up and install new motors

Anything that can fail should be removable, ideally pondside for something like a motor

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Regrettably Maxon motors are insanely difficult to repair. That's not often an issue since Big Gun ships don't regularly burn up motors, but in this case repair is likely not an option.

The good news is that maxon motors are relatively common in the Silicon Valley area, so you can probably find some similar motors at surplus stores around there. Do not try ordering direct from Maxon, those motors are insanely expensive straight from the source. Otherwise, get some simple 280 motors and call it a day.

4. Julian Barbera

Ok, thanks for your help!

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Can also order motors from BC and they have some basic mounts for sale as well. I have a a couple mounted in my golo that are ziptied in. Definitely better ways to secure them but it works for the time being

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This:
    This:
    And this:

Anvil_x and Julian Barbera like this.
  7. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Ok you are in luck if it is a green Maxon like the one in the photo . Just gently pry off the end cap and solder a new lead on if not replace. IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1085.jpg

8. Julian Barbera

It is today my friend! I had one of the silver ones with the black piece on the end(a-max I think?), the cap pops off with relatively low force revealing the internals of the motor, and the brushes. I was able to solder the broken tabs back onto the brushes and fix the motors! I'm working on a better mounting mechanism.

jstod and Nibbles1 like this.
  9. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Nice.

Julian Barbera likes this.
  10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

a triumph of luck, but now going forward you know a new thing - removable motors makes for easier servicing

jstod, Nibbles1 and Julian Barbera like this.
  11. Kotori87

Regrettably, some of the more prolific past builders in WWCC were not fans of maintenance and repair. The results looked fine on the outside, but the inside was a rats nest of wires and Shoe Goo. They would build a whole new ship rather than repair a failed motor or unreliable cannon. Half the jobs we did in the workshop used to be fixing the junk they sold to new members after a single season of battling.

12. Julian Barbera

Ta-Da! Removeable Maxons. motors.jpg

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Is the blue piece glued to the motors and then bolted to the base?

14. Julian Barbera

It’s 3d printed so it’s kind of slippery, I covered the bottom with hot glue to give it good grip. The hot glue wasn’t hot when I screwed it in, but still pretty warm so it should of molded to the curve of the motor.

15. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Way back when I started I used some hot glue to hold stuff together. Worked ok here in MN. When I went to NATS is Georgia it was a little hotter down there. OK lots hotter. The hot glue got hot and no long held anything in place.

DO NOT use hot glue for anything you want to actually stay glued together.

16. Julian Barbera

Even if it melts it should still serve its purpose.

17. Kotori87

Hot glue has a very low melting point. It may melt and stick to the motors if left in the back of your car on a hot day. That said, at that point it's just hot glue, much easier to remove than shoe goo/E-6000/whatever.

18. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Wait... Isn't the point of 3D printing to make custom pieces that fit your application? Just make a contoured piece that holds the motors and forget the glue entirely.

19. Julian Barbera

Well, maybe you have a point there. The other point of 3d printing is fast revisions so if I feel I need a better mount I could whip something up pretty quickly.