Working Anchor

Discussion in 'Construction' started by misguided1, Apr 29, 2014.

1. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I was thinking about building a ship with actual working anchors. I found an anchor winch that weights less then a pound. I am not sure if it will affect a balsa hulled ship or if I would need to reinforce the area that the anchor would come out.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

If you want to hold yourself in one place while the other team pounds on you the shore generally works rather well, makes recovery easy too....

3. misguided1

misguided1 Member

It's for a model ship, not a battling ship.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

My bad, I assumed you were talking about R/C Naval Combat.

Unless you're building something really big & heavy you can probably get away with a lighter anchor and maintain holding power. Probably just as east to reinforce that section of the hull with something that would stand up to the wear better than balsa.
    You could also build a lightweight anchor winch out of a strong servo, just make it do continous rotation and then you have a nice way to control the system.

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I was going to say " hang around one spot long enough, and the bb's you will collect will anchor you"

:whistling:

6. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Yea that's true.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am always one for building whatever excites you. Even if you want to put it on a combat ship do it as long as its within the rules and doesn't take away from the hard work of others. a working anchor on a combat ship COULD have some advantages to it if used properly in the correct situations.