World War One Cruisers

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Murchisonge, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Murchisonge

Murchisonge Active Member

Hello all!
    I was just looking around, and I was curious if there is a ship that meets the following traits:

1. World war one era cruiser
    2. No casemates
    3. Heavy enough not to be really hard to build

I was thinking perhaps the Wiesbaden class? I was thinking a smaller ship (less than 4.5 feet) would be easier to transport and maintain. Also, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of world war one cruisers, other than armored cruisers. Is it because they are not feasible as combat ships? Thanks.

Cheers,
    Garrett

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Kinda depends on what rules you're building for. For IRC (Fast gun 1:144 scale) it would be a very rare WW-1 cruiser that exceeds 648' (your 4'6" in scale). Most are going to be closer to 3'6" or less. It was only the WW2-era ships that got longer for higher speeds.

Reason you don't see many protected cruisers is that they are only 1.5 units...meaning 1 gun and 1 pump. the ACR's are mostly 2.5 units, giving you double the guns with almost identical size.

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

If you are looking for easy to fly with, not too hard to build, WWI, something with a little power go Radestsky. Strikemodels sells a hull.
    Only Predread with twin rudders, she turns on a dime. Gets twin sterns and a sidemount with a 1/2 unit pump. Or a full pump and a 75 round sidemount with a single bow/stern gun. Fun little lightweight ship.

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The Ceres class is a personal favorite. The Hawkins class might be an option. It was the basis of the "Treaty" cruiser.
    I think von Tugboat has the plans for it.

*EDIT* IRC lists the Ceres as the Cardiff class.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I might, rabbit, I might...

EDIT: I do.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  6. Anachronus

My faith in your plans library is renewed!

7. Tugboat

I am pleased to be of service. I will be adding WWI tanks to the list after I make my pilgrimage to the Restoration Shop at Benning to take pics and detailed measurements of the M1917. From these will be drawn a detailed plan set of said tank. Museum is happy because they don't have a good set of blueprints (odd, for a nearly 100-year-old tank) and I promised them a copy of all drawings, pics, etc.

Anachronus likes this.
  8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'm going to do the 'unsolicited advice' thing and suggest that you look at something like the Von der Tann or one of the PDN options. They meet your size / ease of transport needs, though in some cases have casemates, but those are really more annoying to deal with than they are difficult, and have enough units to make a dent in a battle, but are still simple enough to maintain. As was pointed out above, a WW1 cruiser won't have much for units, really limiting your fun factor IMO.

Tugboat likes this.
  9. Anachronus

The VdT is also quite the looker.

NickMyers likes this.
  10. NickMyers

The imperial german battlecruisers were fantastic looking ships

Anachronus likes this.
  11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

If I had to vote for "best looking battlecruiser", I'd say Derfflinger followed by Hood. Von der Tann (I had one as my rookie ship) I always thought as very Leviathan-ish... Nasty, brutish, and short :p

Minimal superstructure, bristling w/ casements. It looked like a killing machine.

12. Anachronus

I think the VdT is rather rakish, but the Derfs are quite sleek.

13. Tugboat

Bah. I love the Invincible's tubby bulldog looks. But I'm biased. Hood looks freaking MAJESTIC on the water. I just can't drive one because I can't conceive of defending all that unarmed space in the middle.

14. NickMyers

Maybe you could lash a pair of PDN's on either side?

Edit: I'm sorry, we've completely derailed this thread.

Anachronus and Wmemlo like this.
  15. Tugboat

Bah. Some admins, I tell ya...

WWI cruisers, I like armored cruisers. That means casements but still the best cruisers of the era.

Anachronus likes this.
  16. Anachronus

Of any era. :D;):woot::laugh::whistling:

17. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The Imperial Russian Admiral Nakhimov class cruisers look interesting. Nice low freeboard and minimal casemates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anachronus likes this.
  18. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I have the Profile Morskie plans for the Hawkins Class and will be doing a hull plug/mould over the next few months. As usual, it will go to Strike Models for production and sale of the hulls. Stephen Mogret and I think the Hawkins class has good combat potential: there are two single guns on the quarterdeck (which has quite low freeboard) that could be trained out 15 degrees to either side and depressed enough for close range hits below the waterline. Like the Kent subclass of the Counties the Hawkins is bulged and can have a stringer close to the waterline for some added protection.

I have detailed plans for the nonbulged County Class subclasses (London and Dorsetshire groups). I gave a nearly complete hull plug for them to a NABS member years ago; he completed the plug and mould, and one for the Fiji and Swiftsure Class light cruisers. Several people have been trying to contact him to buy hulls, and I've recently been calling his current cell and home phones and asking family to pass on messages, but he doesn't respond to anyone. I'd planned to buy the non-bulged County Class mould from him and sell it on to Strike but have given up and will make another hull plug.

19. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Get the Fiji class hull back out there too.
    Where did your first QE hull with the rounded bulges go?

20. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

It's in Maryland.