Would any of these work?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Beaver, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I was wondering if any of these radios would work for this hobby? Here is a link to them. Thanks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__309__190__Radios_Receivers-2_4Ghz_Turnigy.html

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Yes, ( I have one) and some of us are modifying the firmware to make it more combat oriented. that being said, if I was buying now, I would wait for this:

http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-frsky-taranis-transmitter-2.4g-receivers-telemetry-modules

3. wrenow

wrenow RIP

The quick answer is a question; depends - what do you want it to do?
    However, that said - if you cannot wait for the Frsky Taranis, due in a couple of weeks or so from Alofthobbies.com, I would suggest the Turnigy 9XR, though you will have to buy a TX module (I recommend the FRSky module), battery, etc., so it will be a tad more expensive then the older 9X. Also, DO pay for the express shipping, trust me.
    However, as Greg said, were it me, I would hold out for the FRSky Taranis.
    As usual, my advice is to only buy your radio when the ship is ready for sea-trials and combat. Price and capability is in tremendous flux, and what is great bang for the buck today will probably be superceded by something with more bang for the buck as early as a few days or weeks from now. Buy the radio LAST!
    There is not enough informationout about the new FlySky i10 and i18 to even comment about them yet (but FlySky are the people who brought you the Turnigy 9X).
    If you absotively have to have a radio now, the www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html is not a horrible choice and can be modded to handle most ships pretty well - better than most "6 channel" ships, as it has a full 6 analalog channels. But, if you can wait, my money would go to the Taranis (however, caveat - not out in the wild yet, so no knowledge of any "issues" - but FRsky has a pretty good repution).
    NOTE: FRSky and FlySky are NOT the same company - not even close.
    Cheers,

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I respectfully disagree. He's building an MWCI-legal heavy cruiser. You can do that on a 4-channel, let alone a fully programmable 9-channel for 50 bucks. For general fast-gun battling, the $50-ish 9-channel will do anything you need a fast-gun battleship to do, and then some. Buy it when it's in stock and be happy.

5. Beaver

Actually Tugboat, I was building it for IRCWCC, not the MWC. (don't really know the difference)
    I like the idea of the nine channel because I can build a bigger boat later and wouldn't have to buy another radio for the extra channels.
    Beaver

6. Tugboat

I'm a member of both clubs. The rules are close enough that for this purpose it doesn't make a difference :)

7. Beaver

Well, I have a lot to do before I'm finished with my ship, so I'll keep looking for a radio.
    I like the Turnigy because if I drop it in the water, it's not a $150 radio and it's not hard to replace.
    Like I said, I'll keep looking.
    Beaver

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hi Tug. Beaver did not say for what club, format, or class of ship the radio was for, so my advice was, of course, to cover worst-case needs.

Beaver, my advice, again (now knowing the background) is, at the moment, if you decide you need one now:

1) if you are willing to be lashed to a laptop to program it, the FlySky CT-6B at $39.95 is not bad, is easy to mod, and has full use of all 6 channels (many "6 channel" radios only have "on/off" for 2 of the channels).

2) If you do not want to have to carry a laptop to program it, the FS-T6 is pretty much the same radio with a programming interface built in for $54.95. The CT-6B is cheaper from HobbyKing, but the shipping eats up most, if not all, the difference. If you buy $100 of stuff at HobbyPartz, shipping is free.

However, it is still a good idea to see what happens while building your ship, as this advice may be overtaken by events and developments. In fact, by the time you have your ship ready, the FRSky Horus may be ready (it is expected to be in the lower price range- close to the FS-T6, but with more features yet). And FlySky has several new offerings in development/testing as well (like the i10, and i18 models).

Cheers,

9. Tugboat

Sorry, Wreno, I thought you saw his build thread. I forget that not everyone has a compulsion to read everything 6 times a day (I do, trying to cut back lol).

10. wrenow

wrenow RIP

No worries, Tug. Sadly, I have been swamped on real life issues lately, and have not had enough time to do more than do a cursory glance in from time to time. I have most of my major forums on digest setting and only scan them occasionally. But I do try to glance in from time to time and give help/advice where I see something I have some information on the subject.
    Cheers,