WTB Convoy/Carriers: Found

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Darist, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Darist

Darist New Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers Well that is good to know I think then I'll skip the 1 1/4 for 10, but I'm going instead try 1 for every 5 planes it will still then be different from ship to ship and give them the number of barrels that your system does. The other thing that I'm going to do is have them split up 50/50 on the sides then any odd numbers can be used fore or aft. I am trying to keep the number of channels used for firing down, as I only have a 6 channel.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers OK Darist, here's the report. I saw two ships that you could get. Both would need a lot of work before they're ready to go, but they've also got a lot done already. The first is a Kuma/Kitakami hull with guns for US$200. It is an old hull and definitely a fixer-upper, but you get a half-decent hull plus two triple (non-reloading) torpedo cannons. If you get this, you would need to replace the electronics, drive system, and complete the gun system. The single biggest problem is that the original builder used steel propshafts (not stainless!) and weak motors, all of which needs to be replaced.

The other ship is a partially-built USS Iowa hull for US$80. It's got all the ribs and subdeck beautifully crafted from marine ply, but it still needs something on the bottom and then you need to get and install all the guns and running gear. It's less complete than the Kuma, but it also isn't all junked up on the inside, so any build would have a nicer end result.

I also looked at some other ships, but some people don't want to sell ships outside of the club. I saw a few cruiser hulls and a few WWI battleship hulls, and even some big US carriers, but none of them were for sale. I'll keep looking around, because not everyone was present and I didn't get to talk to everyone who was there.

3. Darist

Darist New Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers Hey Kotori, though the Kuma needs some serious work, it would be better as it is just replacing part not doing a fresh install. What has to be finished on the gun system? Let me know what else you find thanks.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers On the gun system, you would need to:
    1) dis-assemble everything and give it a thorough cleaning
    2) pressure-check the cannons, and make sure they don't leak
    3) re-install the cannons with proper mounts (right now there are no mounts)
    4) re-wire the gas lines and install firing poppets

5a) install an air compressor fill port and get a 12v air compressor (if you only want torpedoes)
    OR
    5b) get and install a small CO2 bottle (at least 3.5 oz) and adjustable-pressure regulator (if you want torpedoes AND two bb guns)

If you don't use the bb guns, you can take them out and install them in some transports or destroyers.

In addition to fixing the guns, you would want to:
    1) do a full technical inspection for compliance with construction and penetrability rules
    2) replace the rusty steel propshafts with brass or stainless
    3) install better drive motors
    4) re-wire the whole ship
    5) install a waterproof ESC
    6) install new batteries
    7) install blast shields
    8) ballast and test the ship
    9) reinforce and armor-plate the superstructure

In other words, for all practical purposes you would be getting a hull with guns. My brother Gascan is rather doubtful about the overall quality of the boat, and wants to investigate further before recommending that you buy it. You've got a while to decide, I don't think anyone will be buying it anytime soon.

I do have some good news, though. I discovered a USS Cleveland/Independence hull. The hull has holes for propshafts, a nice wooden rudder, and is otherwise completely empty. It can be completed as either the USS Cleveland light cruiser (4x3 6" guns, 33 kts) or the USS Independence light aircraft carrier (45? aircraft, 32 knots). It does not have guns, but I am looking into getting those.

5. Darist

Darist New Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers Hey Carl, that is a long to do list... that Cleveland hull sounds very interesting, I am assuming that it doesn't have the bulges that the carrier had. Is it possible to see a pic?

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers The HMS Eagle was built on the hull of the Chilian battleship Almirante Cochrane. Her sister ship was completed by the British as the HMS Canada, and served in WW1. Have you given thought to building an HMS Canada deck/superstructure and using the ship in her original Battleship design?

7. Darist

Darist New Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers Hey crzyhawk, that is a interesting idea, my only concern would be getting "Q" turret to work as it is in the middle of the ship. From what I have seen (construction pics only) it can get really tight in side for space.

8. Darist

Darist New Member

RE: WTB Convoy/Carriers Thanks for all your help I found a guy that is going to build me a Akagi.